Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Out of the Game, But Still Has His Aim

That phrase describes my long-term friend Jim Bauer (right).

Yeah, it's been a couple years now since he regularly prowled West Neck Creek with his Skeeter in search of bass, but that in no way has affected his love of the sport. I can assure you that, if it hadn't been for a whole long series of health issues, this man we know with the handlebar mustache would have been right alongside all of us slinging his share of baits.

How do I know this? Because I talk to him on a regular basis. And then, too, I received a lengthy email note from him today, in which he described an incident that occurred recently at his house.

Seems he had spotted a limb from one of the trees in his yard laying on the roof, and he was intent on removing the unwanted obstacle...by whatever means necessary. It didn't take him very long to come up with a plan.

As Jim explained, "I actually had a baitcaster in my hand last week. I admittedly was a bit rusty, but I managed to prove that it's possible to move a good-sized tree limb off a roof with it, even though I had to make a few more casts than what it used to take me to snatch a tree limb on the bank.

"I had a retired rod/reel combo here that I blew the dust off of," continued Jim, "and after tying on a couple worm weights, went to work. It was far enough up the roof that I couldn't reach it from the ground. Had to clear a few bird's nests in the process, but finally got the weights to tangle around the limb and slowly pulled it off the roof.

"When my mission was complete, I retired the combo back to my rod rack," he concluded.

Having gotten a couple chuckles out of this account, I decided to share the experience with everyone. Folks still ask me about Jim, and I'm always more than happy to share what I know.

This much I can tell you with certainty: If/when he gets all his health issues under control, he will get back on the water with all the rest of us. I, for one, will gladly welcome him back. He and I already have plans to spend a day or two on the water together when the topwater bite gets going.

No comments:

Post a Comment