Sunday, March 6, 2022

A Bad Hair Day for Some, But Not Yours Truly...


Of course, what I missed in that regard I more than made up for by having a blowout of a fishing day. Could only manage a crappie and a white perch. However, most of the guys and the gal had a pretty fair country day. The 16 anglers in nine boats weighed a total of 32 bass (including five limits), weighing a total of 79.84 pounds, for an average weight of 2.49 pounds.

Those who found themselves in the winners' circle at day's end included the following:

1st Place
, the team of (from left) Dave Anderson and Gary Coderre, a limit of five bass, for a total weight of 15.91 pounds, and a big fish weighing 4.68 pounds, which also earned them the Big Fish Award.
2nd Place
, the husband-wife team of (from left) Diane and Andy Morath, five bass, for a total weight of 14.24 pounds, and a big fish weighing 3.43 pounds. They also captured the first all-new Side Pot Award.
3rd Place
, the team of (from left) Gabe Himmelwright and Fred Crawford, five bass, for a total weight of 12.15 pounds, and a big fish weighing 4.42 pounds.
Here is how everyone else finished the tournament day:

     * The team of Rob Peppers and Don Carter, five fish, for a total weight of 11.23 pounds, and a big fish weighing 3.44 pounds.
     * The team of Chris Napier and Eddie Sapp, five fish, for a total weight of 10.66 pounds, and a big fish weighing 3.31 pounds.
     * Chris Fretard, three fish, for a total weight of 8.95 pounds, and a big fish weighing 4.18 pounds.
     * The team of Bobby Moore and J. P. Twohig, four fish, for a total weight of 6.70 pounds, and a big fish weighing 2.63 pounds.
     * The team of Steve Bailey and Dennis Dean, as well as Ken Testorff, didn't weigh any fish.

Heartiest congratulations to all of the winners. You certainly earned a payday, considering the strong winds that blew incessantly.


One Last Cast


By day's end, the vast majority of today's anglers were justifiably looking for any protected areas they could find. The kind of wind we saw today gets to be a bit much to stomach after a full day of it. I personally saw it as a good excuse to head for the ramp an hour early and get set up to do the weigh-in with Mark Ingram.

To my delight, the day was relatively free of hang-ups, but I couldn't say the same for backlashes with my baitcasters. There was even one stretch of time when I was wishing I had a spinning rod aboard my boat. If I had had one, you likely would have seen me using it, cause the backlashes certainly were adding their fair share to my overall malcontent with the conditions we had been dealt.

Knowing how the rest of March...and possibly April, too...probably lines up, I very well may be giving some serious thought to the idea of finding at least one spinning rig to use on a day such as this.

Look forward to seeing everyone at our next event, scheduled for Saturday, March 19th.


Epilog


The "old fart" in the bass boat is yours truly as I was heading to the dock early. I had no idea Gabe even captured that moment, but it's a fitting end to my day.

As is readily apparent, I'm following a kayak fisherman who "came to the dance" prepared for some serious bassin'. He wasn't paddling, nor was he pedaling. Instead, he had a trolling motor mounted on the bow of that kayak that was working to perfection in all that wind.

I'm here to tell you that the young guy driving it was moving right along. He took only one glance at me, as we both approached the channel from opposite directions, and punched up a higher speed on his trolling motor to get ahead of me...with ease, I might add.

Probably the dumbest thing I saw all day came as I was returning to West Neck from a trip down to Albright's. Here was a guy, about 25 or so yards off the shoreline of the main river and about 25 yards short of the turn into the creek, on...of all things, and I kid you not...a paddleboard. He was stroking that thing hard but going nowhere fast.

Why anyone would get on a paddleboard in such conditions boggles my mind. Did his parents bounce him on his head when he was a kid, or what?


Current Overall Statistics

No comments:

Post a Comment