Tuesday, March 16, 2021

I Have Problems, But Facing Reality Isn't One of Them

I heard that someone had made a comment that I'm "not much of a fisherman anymore," or words to that effect. The way I see it: I'm not sure I ever was much of a fisherman, even as a young guy.

In any event, a statement like that certainly doesn't ruffle any of my feathers. Why? Because it's simply the truth, and I've openly admitted as much to a host of people in recent years. How could I ever attempt to deny the fact I'm an old man, given what I see when I look in the mirror each day? There's a lot of history behind all those cracks, crevices, lines, and sags.

As if that's not enough, I especially see the decline every time I'm on the water. Things I used to take for granted have become anything but that nowadays.

For example, when I'm holding down a boat's stern, and my tournament partner hooks a big bass, it's undoubtedly comical watching me "scramble" (I can only wish) from my perch on the backseat. Too many times, I nearly fall just getting to the floor of the boat, grabbing and deploying the net, and finally scooping up the fish.

Then there comes the matter of how much help I'm actually contributing to the cause of catching tournament fish. In some cases, such as this past Sunday, the unfortunate reality is that I didn't catch a single keeper bass...and there will be more of those days throughout the year. As the season warms, however, I eventually will catch my stride, in a manner of speaking, and start contributing to some tournament totals.

I understand that I'd be the last choice as a tournament partner for a lot of anglers, and that's why I've very rarely asked to partner up with anyone in recent years. If Dave Anderson hadn't asked me to join him, I never would have approached him, 'cause I did and still do consider Dave to be in a better league.

The only promise I can make and keep is this: I will always do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment