Sunday, March 14, 2021

A Little Cold and Dense Fog Couldn't Deter This Group

 

Our 2020 season opener is now in the record book, with a total of 14 anglers in 8 boats showing up for today's contest. When the 3 p.m. weigh-in was complete, 31 bass had come to the scales, weighing a combined total of 65.98 lbs. These numbers translate into an average weight of 2.12 lbs. per fish and 9.52 lbs. per boat of the seven that weighed fish.

When it came time to pass out pay envelopes, tournament director Wayne Hayes acknowledged the following competitors:

1st Place, Red Bruun, five fish, total weight 14.84 lbs., big fish 3.89 lbs.









2nd Place, the team of (from left) Gabe Himmelwright and Fred Crawford, five fish, total weight 12.80 lbs., big fish 5.23 lbs.







Big Fish, the team of Dave Anderson and Ken Testorff (not pictured), five fish, total weight 11.15 lbs., big fish 5.47 lbs.










Here is how everyone else finished the day:

     * The team of Rob Peppers and Don Carter, five fish, total weight 8.88 lbs., no big fish.
     * The team of Chris Fretard and Mike Miller, five fish, total weight 8.84 lbs., no big fish.
     * The team of Wayne Hayes and Mark Ingram, five fish, total weight 7.45 lbs., big fish 2.68 lbs.
     * The team of Craig Jones and Rob Chatham, one fish, total weight 2.02 lbs.
     * Bobby Moore did not weigh any fish.

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone who were on hand to get the new season underway.

For planning purposes, our next tournament is slated for Saturday, March 27th. Start time will be safe light (about 7 a.m.), with weigh-in at 3 p.m.


One Last Cast

Taking center stage for this season-opener discussion of my thoughts on the day's contest is none other than my partner, Dave Anderson, who asked me to rejoin him this year until such time his current regular partner, Gary Coderre, completes rehabilitation from shoulder surgery.

Without any reservations whatsoever, I want to say that Dave is--by far--one of the "coolest cucumbers" I'm proud to say I've ever known. In the face of circumstances that would drive some folks nuts--and yes, I easily could be characterized as a ringleader of this group--he just "quietly" keeps plodding ahead with the job at hand.

I won't get into the specifics here, but suffice it to say that Dave was having "a bad day" today--one which would have had me talking to myself, given the same circumstances. But not Dave. Time after time, as a new challenge reared its ugly head, he just dealt with it, and then kept on chunkin' and windin'...and, more importantly, kept catching fish, including the "lunker of the day" prize, no less.

I don't mind tellin' ya that this kind of "calm under fire" demeanor makes Dave one "cool cumber" in my book. And he's that way all the time. As I told him near the end of the tournament day, "I admire you for being the epitome of what I and anyone else like me would do well to emulate."

My hat's off to you! Dave. You can call me to be your net man any ol' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment