Monday, January 18, 2021

For Week Ending Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021


Monday, Jan. 18 (from Ron)...
Launched at 1000, with winds at 8 mph. Recovered at 1300, and the winds had increased to 18.5! Too windy. Managed to land five bass at 1-9, 1-15, 2-3, 2-6, and 2-10 before getting off the lake. I didn't find any chain picks, but a friend I was with caught a few.

Tuesday, Jan. 19 (from Ron)...Just had to get out and enjoy the wind. Made quick trip to Albright's and trolled around the oxbow. Didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed. I did have something on that felt like about a 1-5 but never found out what it was. Avoided the skunk with one dink bass. Was good to be out and about. I guess if I had tried shoreline, points and visible structure, I may have found more, but my elbow is sore, so I just trolled some XTS and enjoyed the sunset. Surprised I didn't find any panfish this time of year.

Thursday, Jan. 21 (from Ron)...'Twas a slow bite this afternoon, but the weather was great. Landed a 1-12 and 1-13 bass, as well as three chain picks between 22 and 23 inches. Tomorrow should be even better weather!

Friday, Jan. 22 (from Ken)...Unlike baseball's homerun king, "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron, I struck out today in my trip to West Neck, but that's OK, 'cause I still enjoyed myself after about a six- or seven-week layoff. Was sad to learn that Hank no longer is with us. According to what I read, he passed in his sleep overnight at age 86. As for my bassin' today, I truly wasn't surprised at the outcome; even told the wife before I left this morning that I expected to register a skunk. Wasn't for a lack of trying. I wore the water out both north and south in the creek with jerkbaits and an assortment of crankbaits, but didn't have nary a strike. Saw two fish today (spooked one with the trolling motor and had one follow my bait to the side of the boat), but that was the extent of it. Talked momentarily with a kayaker when I came in. He already was out when I launched about 10 o'clock. He said he had gotten four bass, of which only one was a keeper, while using a white spinner. When I told him about my skunk, he let me know the two fellas who pulled out just ahead of me had said the same thing about their day. Water temp when I shoved off this morning was 38.5, and the best I saw all day was the low 40s. The breezy conditions made for an all-day cool one, but I stayed comfortable. If nothing else, I've learned how to dress for a fishin' day, even though I still haven't figured out how to put fish in the boat every time. Not sure when I'll get out again, but am hoping it's not quite as long as this most recent layoff.

Friday, Jan. 22 (from Ron)...
Because it was "warm," I was hellbent on trying to fish. Wind was brutal, but I managed one chain pick before I called it after only a half-hour. Re-launched at Ashville Bridge Creek, but it was way too shallow. Oddly, the wind was south, but the gauge was falling and falling quickly. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Saturday, Jan. 23 (from Ron)...Just got back from a really good trip on the water. Caught six bass: 1-8, 2-1. 2-12, 3-2, 3-3, and a 6-lb. 6-oz. new personal best ever! Man, what a great fight the latter was! Between 1230 and 2 p.m., caught two chain picks, and then the bass turned on. Wind was blowing about 22 mph and temp was in high 30s, with wind chill in the high 20s, but I tuffed it out until just after 1530, and glad I did. The chain pick had a nice size fish in his belly--I suspect a shad.

(May have been a cold day, Ron, but I have to say that you've certainly had a couple of "hot hands" in recent days. Way to go!!!)




Sunday, Jan. 24 (from Ron)...Was nice to be out with just a very light wind for a change. Tied on an "old school" Cotton Cordell Red Fin for a change, and it landed my only bass of the afternoon. Weighed in at 3-0. Also caught three chain picks on the ol' reliable XTS. I kind of like the larger hooks on the Red Fin; makes it easier to deal with, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment