Thursday, January 7, 2021

For Period Ending Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021

 

Thursday, Jan. 7 (from Ron)...Fished Milldam on the 5th, but think I got out too late (4 p.m.) and caught a skunk. Fished Tecumseh a bit earlier today and caught seven bass and three chain pickerel. The bass came in at 1-4, 2-7, 2-11, 3-5, 3-11, 4-4 and a nice 5-3! I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the bass. Bite was good between 2 and 4 p.m,, then nothing until dark. Oddly, all three chain picks were right at 20 inches. Everything fell to the XTS Minnow. (Hey, Ron: Ever considered seein' if Bass Pro Shops would hire you for some commercials with that bait? You certainly whack some fish with it!)


Sunday, Jan. 10 (from Ron)...
I launched about 10 a.m. and made the long trip to the burrow pit (Crystal Lake). Tried some deeper diving crankbaits (e.g., Husky Jerk Shad and Shadow Raps) to no avail. After a couple hours, I decided to head back to the main lake and fight the wind. Glad I did. Tied on the ol' XTS and began to troll. Made quick work of four chain pickerel up to 24 inches and then started to find some bass. Didn't weigh the first three that went between 1 and 2 lbs. Then, though, I caught a nice 3-3, 3-5 and a fat 5-6!  Never did try a Mann's 1-Minus as I planned. Figured if the XTS Minnow was working, I should stick with it. Wind on the open lake between 12 and 2:30 was brutal, but I'm glad I toughed it out.

Tuesday, Jan. 12 (from Ron)...
Did an experiment this afternoon. Trolled an XTS Minnow and a classic Rapala floater (in the chain pickerel picture), and I have to admit the Rapala out-performed the XTS. Caught six chain pickerel between 20 and 22 inches, five bass (a 1-8, 1-14, 2-3, 2-10, and a 3-3), as well as one crappie. Of the 12 fish caught, nine fell to the Rapala. With the cold weather, I am not a fan of the three trebles on the Rapala, especially with the chain picks and their teeth!








Wednesday, Jan. 13 (from Ron)...Decided to purchase a Rapala original floating F-9, which is smaller than the one I was using yesterday and only has two trebles (they are only $7 at the Wal-Marts). It is about three inches long, as is the XTS. Trolling both today, the XTS caught six fish and the Rapala only one, but it was the one bass that counted, weighing in at 4-8. The rest were a 1-14 and 2-5 bass, plus four chain pickerel, all at 22 inches. Am finding it very odd that all the chain picks are running 22 inches long. I'm positive that I'm not catching the same one over and over. First hour was pretty good, then a long hour and a half lull before the 4-8 fell victim to the Rapala about 4:20 p.m. Only difference today that might explain the slow bite was that there was a south wind, vice the north winds I have been experiencing.

Friday, Jan. 15 (from Ron)...Fished this afternoon and caught five bass: 2-1. 2-5, 2-10, 2-11, and a 3-5, as well as a nice 24-inch chain pickerel with a dented back. The wind was brutal, gusting up to 17 mph, and for all the warmth and sun, the wind put a damper on it. The XTS and Rapala were the lures of choice.










Saturday, Jan. 16 (from Ron)...
Had some rudder issues. Tweaked the steering cables and launched for a test drive. Yak now tracks dead straight...no more constant right turn with hands off the steering handle. Since I was out there anyway, of course I set a line out with the XTS attached. Caught a 1-13 and 3-2 bass before the weather changed for the worse. Clouds rolled in, wind kicked up, and the whitecaps forced a retreat. At least no skunk. The 1-13 was healthy, but the 3-2 was kind of skinny.

[One thing is certain: No one ever can fault Ron for not being dedicated to his chosen sport. I especially appreciate the fact that, every time he goes, I always get a report on his trip. Sure wish a few more anglers would be as accommodating. Too many bass anglers today, though, still live with that "God forbid that I should tell anybody else what kind of trip I had" mentality, for fear it'll somehow give everyone else a leg up on them at the next tournament.]

Sunday, Jan. 17 (from Ron)...The best way to test out any new accessory is real-life conditions. I have four or five old broken Hawg Trough measuring boards. Finally broke down and bought a Ketch Carbonite measuring board. Added some flotation to the back and had to test it out. Guess what?  It works really well at measuring fish, and my flotation modification works great, too! Cut and glued pool noodles into the cracks on the back. Caught five bass at 1-5, 1-8, 2-0, 3-2, and a 3-10, as well as a crappie and a 22-inch chain pick. Bit breezy, but not too bad. Of course, all fell to the XTS slow-trolled.

No comments:

Post a Comment