Saturday, September 26, 2020

The Day of the Drowned Rats


That's pretty much the way all 20 anglers in 12 boats looked today as they brought their fish to the scales at weigh-in. Their collective catch amounted to 48 bass for a total weight of 105.05 lbs. Those figures translate into an average weight per fish of 2.18 lbs. and an average weight per boat of 8.75 lbs.

Winners at today's gathering included the following:

1st Place
, the team of (from left) Rob Peppers and Mike McClusky, five fish, 15.69 lbs. total weight, 5.45-lb. big bass.












2nd Place
, Eddie Sapp, five fish, 15.51 lbs. total weight, 6.60-lb. big bass, which also earned him bragging rights as the tournament's lunker winner.














3rd Place
, the team of (from left) Dave Anderson and Gary Coderre, five fish, 11.70 lbs. total weight, 4.58-lb. big bass.













Here is how everyone else finished the day's competition:

     * The team of Chris Fretard and Mike Miller, five fish, 10.05 lbs. total weight, 3.89-lb. big bass.
     * Mark Ingram, five fish, 9.66 lbs. total weight, 3.93-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Chris Napier and Allen Napier, five fish, 9.55 lbs. total weight, 3.26-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Andy Morath and Zach Bubier, five fish, 8.82 lbs. total weight, 3.43-lb. big bass.
     * Ken Testorff, five fish, 8.73 lbs. total weight, 2.78-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Rusty Girard and Sam Girard, five fish, 8.15 lbs. total weight, 2.86-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Richard Hall and Dave Dozier, three fish, 7.19 lbs. total weight, 3.30-lb. big bass.
     * Skip Schaible and the team of Gabe Himmelwright and James Calhoun didn't weigh any fish.

One more angler (Eddie Sapp) today joined the group that has completed the required number of tournaments to fish our season-ending two-day Classic. There likely will be a few more anglers added to the list tomorrow following our last qualifier tournament of 2020.

Congratulations to all of the day's winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. Our tournament tomorrow kicks off at safe light or 0630, whichever comes first, with weigh-in at 1430. Hope you can join us.


One Last Cast

When this fishing day started, I didn't have a clue where I was going. I knew which lure I was going to start with, and as it worked out, was the only productive lure I threw all day: a topwater.

After a rocky start--lots of minor stuff--I finally got lined out and started catching fish, boating a total of eight on the day. Had four keepers in the boat by midway through the tournament day, but was having problems finding that fifth keeper.

Had just spoken briefly with a good friend and told him I was headin' back to West Neck to finish out the day, but ultimately decided to make one stop...at the same spot I had started the day and where I had caught a nice fish on only my second cast of the day. Had only made a couple casts on this last stop, too, when another nice one jumped all over my topwater.

For a couple of anxious moments, I didn't figure I was going to get this fifth keeper in the boat, because of all stupid tricks, I accidentally caught one of the topwater's trebles in the rub rail of my boat as I tried to swing the fish aboard. And there he dangled while I tried to find a pair of pliers to get the hook out of the rubber. Fortunately, the fish wiggled a bit and jarred the hook loose before I could find the pliers...but wasn't able to get rid of the hook in his mouth.

I didn't set the world on fire today, but I enjoyed the fishing, even with all the intermittent rain we had throughout the tournament. Hopefully, I'll be able to have another decent outing tomorrow, too. Plan to start my day by following up on a tip a friend passed to me before leaving the marina. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment