Sunday, July 12, 2020

'Twas a Typical Dog-Days Tournament



The heat of the day was all any of us wanted plus some, but we survived the test, and all but one of the 20 anglers in 11 boats brought fish to the scales. The 46 bass weighed in had a cumulative total weight of 98.03 lbs., for a 2.13-lb. average weight per fish and an 8.91-lb. average weight per boat.

Those who took home well-earned pay envelopes at the end of the day included the following:

1st Place
, the team of (from left) Rob Peppers and Don Carter, with five fish weighing 16.60 lbs. They also claimed the day's lunker pot with a 4.74-lb. bass.

2nd Place
, the team of (from left) Andy Morath and John Harmon, with five fish weighing 11.90 lbs., and a 2.90-lb. big fish.

3rd Place,
 the team of David Dozier and Richard Hall (not pictured), with five fish weighing 11.51 lbs., and a 3.18-lb. big fish.
Here is how the rest of the field finished:

     * The team of Mark Ingram and Gabe Himmelwright, five fish weighing 11.49 lbs., and a 2.75-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Gary Coderre and Dave Anderson, five fish weighing 10.87 lbs. (after 0.50 deduction for one dead fish), and a 4.12-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Jesse Munden and Jon Guzman, five fish weighing 9.87 lbs., and a 3.20-lb. big fish.
     * The team of James Calhoun and Rusty Girard, five fish weighing 8.16 lbs., and a 3.32-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Steve Bailey and Bobby Moore, five fish weighing 7.51 lbs., no big fish.
     * The team of Chris Fretard and Mike Miller, three fish weighing 5.10 lbs., no big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, three fish weighing 5.02 lbs., and a 2.52-lb. big fish.
     * Wayne Hayes didn't weigh any fish.

Congratulations to all of today's winners, and thanks to everyone who showed up for the contest. Our next scheduled event is Saturday, July 25th, from safe light to weigh-in at 2 p.m. Hope you can find a way to join us.



One Last Cast

As is so often the case, I had a game plan when I left the house this morning, but as luck would have it, my day started on a sour note and only went downhill from there. I hadn't much more than pulled up to my first spot this morning when a case of heartburn hit me. I subsequently had two giant blowups on a topwater bait that made me look like it was the first time I ever had held a rod in my hand.

I subsequently messed around for a few minutes with a jerkbait and a crankbait, neither of which produced even slight interest. I then picked up my worm rod and never looked back the rest of the day, given how warm it was. By this time, I had shed the case of heartburn, but you'd never have known it from the way I was swingin' and missin'. I had three fish nearly rip the rod out of my hand when I chunked the worm up next to some wood, but the best I got each time was a momentary feel of the fish, and then it was gone as fast as it had hit. All three of those fish had some size to 'em.

With only 30 minutes remaining before weigh-in, I decided to throw in the towel. Quickly weighed my fish and then headed to the ramp to recover my boat, where I was met with a host of boats and jet-skis that, for lack of a better way of putting it, simply didn't demonstrate the first ounce of handling ability. One fella in particular easily took 15 minutes just to get his trailer in the water like he wanted it. He then took another 25 or 30 minutes to get the boat on the trailer...and that was with the help of the two jet-skiers...need I say more? By the time he finally pulled off the ramp, there easily were eight or more boats waiting behind me to trailer their rigs...and I must say there didn't appear to be a happy camper in the bunch.

Such is the usual scene on any given Sunday this time of year. Just hope that guy ahead of me at the ramp couldn't read what I was thinking. If he could, I dare say his ears were burning by the time he had gotten out of my road.

No comments:

Post a Comment