Monday, July 6, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, July 12, 2020



Monday, July 6 (from Ron)...
Did a rare mid-day heat-buster in the saltwater in search of a flat-fish dinner. Got a nice pole-bender that took some drag, and I thought I had a big flounder. However, it turned out to be a puppy drum...odd for mid-day, as I usually only find them in the early morning or late evening. Was nice to hear the drag and feel the fight.
Monday, July 6 (from DMac)...I slipped out to Back Bay today. Had a fair to good day of froggin. Lipped 10. Weather peeps said south 5 to 10, but by 11 o'clock, it was blowin' 15, with gusts to 20. Makes for a less-than-relaxing day. Still managed to end with a minor case of bass thumb. Left my nice HUK shirt at home, so I had to deploy an old motorcross jersey for anti-dermatological protection. Had three bass that weighed between 3 and 4 lbs. The rest were legitimate keepers...well, OK, one dink. Does my soul good to see the game department actively pursuing the comeback of this fishery. I caught the heel end of the hey day. Between 1978 and 1980, there were gobs of 8-lb. bass out there. Redhead Bay, just outside of Davis' boat launch, had grass all the way across. So much for history, though.

Tuesday, July 7 (from Ken)...
For the first two hours this morning, I flailed with a couple of topwater baits, trying to find some fish. I finally managed to put a small white perch and a decent-sized crappie in the boat but only after whipping some braided line into a bunch of knots that I ended up cutting out. I barely had enough line left on the baitcaster spool to keep using the same rod but eventually tired of the topwaters and finally just put the rod down and forgot about it. Tossed a spinnerbait around then for about a half-hour with no takers before picking up the rod to which I had tied on a soft plastic. In a matter of about 15 minutes and about 40 or 50 feet of shoreline, I had boated three keeper bass, so just kept going the same direction. Between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m., I boated a total of eight bass, the best two of which weighed in at 1-12 and 1-13. Also recorded several swings and misses with the soft plastic. I cut the day short by a couple of hours, 'cause I wasn't anxious to deal with the dreaded heat any longer. And besides, my sole purpose in hitting the water today was to form some kind of game plan for our next tournament this coming Sunday. I now know the baits I'll be using. The only thing still up in the air is location, which will be determined by water level and water color on tournament day. Only saw a couple of other boats on the water today, not including the one big boy I encountered while running back to West Neck. Managed to ease over his wake and pass him in a wider section of the river with no bouncing around.

Thursday, July 9 (from Ron)...
With the high wind, I decided to dust off the freshwater gear. Fished Ashville Bridge Creek, and the weather was near perfect. Caught 11 bass on plastics and topwater between 6:30 and dark. Biggest was only a 1-10, but it was nice to be back out in the freshwater and not chasing the flatfish while battling the crowds for a change.
Friday, July 10 (from Ron)...
Still trying to find a keeper flounder. Not working well, but no skunk.
Saturday, July 11 (from Ron)...
I finally found a keeper flounder for dinner. Got a couple dinks as has been the norm and then one decent one that will make for a great dinner for two.
Sunday, July 12 (from Ron)...
Weatherman lied. It was supposed to be mostly cloudy. Instead, we had bluebird heat-wave skies, with zero wind. Caught a keeper puppy drum, as well as a 16.75-inch flounder.

No comments:

Post a Comment