Monday, September 2, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019



Monday, Sept. 2 (from Ron)...Got back on the water Saturday evening,  but only for an hour, and fished upper North Landing. Ended with a skunk. Tried the saltwater Sunday morning but only managed one 4-inch black sea bass. It's too early for puppy drum and speckled trout. October can't come soon enough for me. Went out again Sunday evening to Milldam. Was getting very strange bites while throwing flukes and worms. I was getting nibbles and assumed small panfish were toying with me. When I finally got a hookset, it was a 1-5 bass. A lot different from the "usual" strike, which involves waiting for line to move and setting the hook. Lost three to poor hooksets alongside the kayak...probably 2 to 2.5 pounders. Caught two sunfish on the Pop R at sunset.

Wednesday, Sept. 4 (from Dave & Ken)...With Dorian waiting in the wings to deliver whatever is our destiny, Dave and I figured we had better get our licks in while we still can. There certainly are no guarantees we'll be able to hold the tournament scheduled for this coming weekend; however, you can be certain we will try to do so. That aside, though, we were challenged just to find and boat six keepers between us today, with not the first big fish. It was another one of those days with absolutely no concentrations...just one here and one there, with no discernible pattern, and sometimes 1 to 2 hours in between fish. One thing is certain: If we are able to fish the tournament this weekend, Dave nor I have a clue where to start or what bait(s) to throw. Of course, we very well may have a lot of company in that regard.



Wednesday, Sept. 4 (from Skip)...I managed to put four fish in the boat today. Also dropped two while trying to lift them into the boat on my slider rod. I further lost three or four that simply came unbuttoned. I had a bunch of short strikes on my fluke today also. It got a little toasty about 1 o'clock (both Dave and I will second that). Thank God it was overcast...and a slight breeze finally materialized, too...or it would have been brutal.




Wednesday, Sept. 4 (from Ron)...Fished Ashville Bridge Creek this evening for about 2.5 hours. Had one bite and one catch. Didn't even measure or weigh. Humidity was a bear, and the bugs didn't improve the experience. Not sure when I will get out again, with this weather.




Saturday, Sept. 7 (from Ron)...Fished this morning from 7 to 11 o'clock. Had something on about 0800 but lost it. Then, just prior to recovery, about 100 yards from launch site, I found a lone 2-0 to avoid the skunk. He hit a Zoom U Vibe worm.




Sunday, Sept. 8 (from Ron)...A repeat of yesterday. Fished from 0630 to 1130. Caught one bass at about 1045. A 1-9 hit the Pop ShadZ. Getting frustrating, but no skunk. One of those mornings where if it could go wrong, it did.  Murphy was all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment