Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Man With a Vivid Imagination

Skip: Just came by West Neck Marina, and as I was there, a helicopter flew over, and two guys rapelled down to your boat. They hooked it up to the helicopter, then flew off with it.

Ken: Nice try, but I haven't been hiding under rocks.

Skip: Oops! The boat just fell out of the straps. I'm going to swim out and get it. Then I'll put it in your boat shed.

Ken: You've been smoking too much dope, or is it your meds?

That's the gist of a text exchange that took place between Skip (the fella on the front pedestal in the above picture) and me this past Friday. Now ya gotta admit that the guy who started this exchange either has a vivid imagination or perhaps is--dare I say--a little deranged.

In all seriousness, I don't for even five minutes think my good friend, Skip, is deranged. He just likes to kid around, and I'm here to tell you that no one does it better. Before I learned what a jokester he is, I have to admit that, more than once, he had the opportunity to give me a big smile and say, "Gotcha!"

That in no way makes him a bad guy, as far as I'm concerned. I've just learned to expect him to yank my chain every chance he gets, and I'm always ready to respond in kind.

This much I tell you in all seriousness, though, there's not a better friend I'd rather have when I need a helping hand. One such occasion came up just yesterday, and Skip didn't waste any time in answering my call for help.

The tournament day had ended, and I just had finished taking care of my final responsibilities as tournament director. Climbed into my ol' van and hit the starter, only to get nothing more than some solenoid clicks. Didn't take rocket science to know I needed a jump start. Unfortunately, all the tourney anglers had gone, and the marina manager had also secured for the day.

As I was standing there at the marina, weighing my options, I remembered that Skip doesn't live very far away and decided to give him a call. He was on scene in a little bit of no time, had me started, and was offering to follow me home if I wanted. I simply thanked him, though, and said I was sure I could make it home OK on my own.

Now that's the kind of guy Skip is and why I don't mind his penchant for pulling my leg at every turn. They just don't make human beings any better than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment