Saturday, September 28, 2019

Everyone Weighs Fish in Final 2019 Qualifier



You might say all 20 anglers in 13 boats went out with a bang this final tourney of the current season. They collectively weighed a total of 58 bass with a total weight of 128.70 lbs., an average weight per fish of 2.21 lbs., and an average weight per boat of 9.90 lbs.

Those who excelled today and took home a little extra change in their pockets included the following:





(From left) The team of Andrew Gonzalez and Cody Wilson claimed 1st place with a five-fish limit weighing 12.73 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.09 lbs.





(From left) The team of Richard Hall and David Dozier weighed a five-fish limit that tipped the scales at 12.21 lbs., which earned them 2nd place. They didn't have a big fish.



(From left) The team of Steve Bailey and Bobby Moore came in 3rd, with a five-fish limit that weighed 12.15 lbs. Their big fish weighed 2.94 lbs. Steve also earned bragging rights as the 2019 Angler of the Year, with a grand total weight of 178.13 lbs. Well done! Steve.





(From left) This team of Bob Glass and J. P. Twohig won big fish  honors today, with a bass weighing 4.41 lbs. Their five-fish limit came in at 12.03 lbs.





(From left) This duo of Eric Killian and Jim Crist finished with four bass, weighing 6.61 lbs., which was closest to the mystery weight that was drawn: 2.55 lbs.






Here is how everyone else lined up at the end of the day:

     * Red Bruun, five fish, 12.02 lbs. total weight, 3.55-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Dave Anderson and Ken Testorff, five fish, 11.94 lbs. total weight, 3.98-lb. big fish.
     * Chris Napier, five fish, 11.49 lbs. total weight, 3.64-lb. big fish.
     * Rob Peppers, five fish, 10.58 lbs. total weight, 3.41-lb. big fish.
     * Gary Coderre, five fish, 10.27 lbs. total weight (after 0.25 penalty for one dead fish), 2.93-lb. big fish.
     * Wayne Hayes, four fish, 9.66 lbs. total weight, 3.95-lb. big fish.
     * The husband-wife team of Andy and Diana Morath, five fish, 7.01 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Stan Krason was disqualified for failure to make it back on time for weigh-in.

Two more anglers joined the list of those qualified to fish our season-ending two-day Classic on Oct. 12 and 13. A total of 21 now are qualified, but I know for a fact that at least two do not plan to participate...and there very well may be more.

Congratulations to all of today's winners, as well as those for the entire year. I also offer my sincere appreciation to all those who helped throughout the year to put on these events. I assure you that your efforts didn't go unnoticed.


One Last Cast

With today's tournament in the record books, I'm left with only the two-day Classic remaining on my "to do" list before I bring my 7-year tenure as tournament director for the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series to an end. I plan to continue as a participant in this series, but only as a fisherman. I'm turning over control of the events to someone else.

Surprisingly, this decision wasn't nearly as difficult to make as I once thought it would be. I simply applied the same philosophy to this decision as I did to my Navy and Civil Service careers. That philosophy was: When I quit having fun, it's time to call a halt to things.

Having not heard anyone say, "Let me do it now," I'm left to figure I'll have to "enlist" someone. After gathering some input from the old regulars today, I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do, but I'm going to reserve any announcements until I've had some further discussions. Don't want to jump the gun, so to speak. Stay tuned, 'cause when I lock something in, I'll post it here for general consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment