Monday, September 10, 2018

What a Difference New Bunk Boards Make


Actually, I should have said, "What a difference new bunk boards make if you wrap them with something like Caliber Bunk Wrap."

Spent about four hours with my boat mechanic yesterday, watching him replace my old carpeted bunks with new ones. The old ones likely had been on the trailer since it was new, six years ago.

At the urging of my mechanic, I compared the weight of the old bunks with the new ones, and it was amazing how much heavier the old ones were, as a result of the water that had been retained in the old boards and carpeting. The difference easily was a matter of several pounds.

Along with the new treated 2-by-6s, covered by gray-colored Caliber Bunk Wrap, I have all new hardware holding everything together, so I should be good to go for a long spell. This much I already can tell you: It will be a joy launching and recovering my Skeeter with these new bunks. I just have to remain alert to the fact it takes far less oomph to drive the boat to the nose stop now. I feel totally comfortable saying the days of having to "gun it" are long gone.

Another advertised benefit of Caliber Bunk Wrap is less strain on arms, ropes, pulleys, and bow eyes. And, too, it mounts directly over bare wood. In fact, buyers are cautioned NOT to install it over carpet.

When it comes to knowing how often you need to replace trailer bunks, there doesn't seem to be anything close to a one-size-fits-all answer available. My Internet research revealed some folks who say they have to change theirs every two years, while others claim to use the same ones for 15 or 20 years. It stands to reason the answer likely depends on how often you use your boat and, too, what kind of water you use it in. The one common response I saw throughout my research was that most people like to check their trailers once a year, usually before the start of a new season. And those checks usually include items such as straps, tires, axles, bunks, brakes--in short, everything.

You can't afford to try cutting corners with your trailer, 'cause after all, it's what takes you to the dance and brings you home afterward, as well.


Meticulous? or Anal? It Just Means You Always Walk Away Satisfied

Had a phone call this morning (Saturday, Sept. 15th) from my boat mechanic and long-time friend Wayne Hayes. He was asking if it was a good time to finish the bunk job on my boat trailer. At first, I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I thought that job was complete.

As Wayne explained, though, there were a couple bolts he wanted to install. With the boat back on the trailer, he hadn't been able to put these two bolts back where they belonged. He ended up handing them to me and asked that I keep them handy.

The reason Wayne does all my boat-related work in the first place is that he's what I call "meticulous." Wayne simply calls it being "anal." The fact of the matter is that he doesn't do anything halfway, and that's true whether he's working on his own rig or yours. He keeps going until he's completely satisfied...and you are, too.

When Wayne works on my boat, I know it will be done right. Can't begin to tell you what a joy it is to have that peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment