Tuesday, July 3, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 8, 2018



Monday, July 2 (from Ron)...Went back out Sunday evening from 6:30 to 8:30. Tried upper North Landing in search of bowfin, but didn't find any, just an ugly catfish with funny little red spots all over him. On Monday evening, fished Blackwater from 6:30 to 8;30 and managed four little dinks. Oh well, at least no skunk. It was miserably hot!


Tuesday, July 3 (from Ken)...Rather than wait for a cooler day to come along, I decided to fish early and quit early today. I launched at 6 a.m. and fished until 12 noon. During that time, I caught another total of 11 bass, including five dinks and six keepers. The latter weighed in at 1-4, two at 1-6, 2-2, 2-9, and 3-8. Caught everything on a Senko worm, a chatterbait, and a topwater bait. Also caught about a 4- or 5-lb. bowfin on the chatterbait. He was all full of himself until I got the boca grips on him and released him to be caught another day. Incidentally, I didn't gut hook any bass today with my Senkos, but I did hook one on the back of his tongue and, by going in through the gills, was able to pop the hook right out, with no sign of any blood. Felt real good about that. Don't know when I'll get out again but likely will use the start and stop early routine as long as these temperatures stay this wretched hot.

Tuesday, July 3 (from Ron)...Launched at Campbell's Landing Road and headed north to a creek on Back Bay. The little ones were biting well on rubber worms, and I should have stayed with that lure. Instead, though, I was hellbent on trying topwater, but they were not interested. Caught four, weighing in at 1-1, 1-3, 1-10, and 1-12. All had bloated bellies and I gotta figure out what they are feeding on and match the hatch. Seeing so many bloated bellies is a bit weird for me, seein' as how it was two years ago that I caught a 23.5-inch bass that weighed in at 6 lbs. 1 oz. in the month of July, and he was rail thin. I gotta find him again! All my catches lately are really full and fat. I thought about an Ol' Pungo launch this evening, but with the holiday and thoughts of jet skis and loonies, I decided to stay away. Milldam will be my target for the 4th! Gauge is 2.5, and I can't wait for a weekday morning launch!

Wednesday, July 4 (from Ron)...Was really nice to head out this morning with my son. We fished Milldam from about 6:30 to 1000, and the bite was on. My scale wasn't working, so I had to guess. I caught nine bass and Alex caught six, all scale-worthy, with four over 2 lbs. He landed a nice 19-incher at 3-3, so my 19-incher must have been 3-4! Clouds and breeze were nice.

Thursday, July 5 (from Ken)...I had about the same number of hits today that I had Tuesday, but therein lies the only similarity. The results were grossly different, as evidenced by the fact I only boated this one small keeper fish today. He fell for the Senko worm, as did all but two of the strikes I had for six hours of fishing (from 6 a.m. to 12 noon). Not sure why, but better than 99 percent of the time today, the fish were only taking hold of the Senko's tail, and it didn't matter how long you let them run with the bait. In the final analysis, you simply was just going to record a swing and a miss. In one very short stretch of grassy shoreline, I had four strikes on four consecutive casts, felt every one of them, let the fish run long enough to have swallowed the bait, and yet, each time, all I got was air when I tried to set the hook. And I can't tell you how many SwimSenkos I got back with the tail missing. Started this morning in Albright's but soon ran back to West Neck because I didn't like the way the clouds were piling up down south. With no shelter close by in Albright's, I decided to err on the side of safety and go where I knew there was a bridge I could duck under if need be. The bottom line: I didn't get skunked, and, too, there's always tomorrow.





Friday, July 6 (from Ray)...Fished Whitehurst today and only had two bites. Landed both, a dink and a 4.1 bass. A worm was the lure of the day. Poor picture, but all I have.






Friday, July 6 (from Ron)...Watched the weather and launched in the post-storm window at Lovitt's. Fished from 1845 to 2030. Water was chocolate milk-colored due to runoff, but the temps were great. Managed one 13-inch bass on the Senko and lost a couple more. Threw a Pop R and caught a decent white perch, but I need a few more for the tacos, so will try again in the morning.


Saturday, July 7 (from Ron)...Wanted to target white perch at junction of Back Bay and Lovitt's, but the wind forced a change of plan. Had to settle for a side creek out of the gusty winds and was not expecting any keepers. Luckily, I found 'em! Four more panfish for my taco dinner. Have five on ice now. Ten fillets means a few tacos for me and the rest for the kid. Was not targeting bass. Only had a trolled beetlespin and was casting a micro spinnerbait for perch. Did stumble onto three dink bass, as well as a 1-12, and a 1-14, all of which hit the spinnerbait adjacent to structure. Clouds and temps were perfect. Gauge is falling rapidly...from 2.9 yesterday evening, down to 2.1 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment