Monday, July 9, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 15, 2018



Monday, July 9 (from Ron)...The gauge is way, way low. Sunday evening, I tried the Oceana pond, but it was crowded with bank fisherman, keeping me from my favorite spots. Managed three dink bass on Senkos. Tried some topwater baits, but the fish were not interested. This evening, I fished the upper North Landing and caught three more dink bass to 13 inches, as well as a small blue catfish that hit a micro spinnerbait. Northeast winds will keep the gauge low and launch options to a minimum. At least the temps are nice and comfortable.

Tuesday, July 10 (from Ron)...With the gauge at 1.3, thought I would try Milldam. Not the best call. At launch, my kayak was on dry, muddy land when it should have been floating in the water. Managed to launch and made it into Milldam. There was about 4-to-6 feet of bank below the tall grass/shoreline, and some spots were dry for 20-to-30 feet out. All the points were totally exposed, and the areas where there should have been grass to throw to were dry mud. Staying as near center of the creek as I could (feeders were out of the question), I threw plastics to any cypress base that was still in the water, and there were only a few. Spent a lot of time "aground," but managed to find seven bass, with biggest a 1-6. Tried the micro spinner and caught a few small white perch,  as well as a sunfish. At least, it was easy to get under the bridge!

Friday, July 13 (from Ron)...Water is calming down a bit and starting to clear up. Drove to launch Thursday evening and didn't bother to wet the yak or a line. Lots of debris and super murky. Headed to Lovitt's this evening and tucked into a wind-protected cove. Must have found a hole because, for a half hour, I was catching and losing 'em left and right. Had four Zoom worms get bit in half. A crab hit my bettlespin that hangs under the bobber as I was stationary and unhooking a bass. Same area I found the keeper white perch last week, but this evening, they were tiny! One small bass was odd shaped. Three dink bass, a 1-6, four small white perch, and a  bowfin that fought like a dink until he realized he was hooked, then he took some drag!

No comments:

Post a Comment