Thursday, July 19, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 22, 2018



Sunday, July 15 thru Wednesday, July 18 (from Ron)...Been fishing, just not keeping up with reports. Sunday, caught a lone 2-15 bass to avoid the skunk in Milldam. Monday, didn't fish (spouse's birthday). Tuesday, could only find white perch on spinnerbait and no bass in Back Bay. Wednesday, fished Blackwater and caught three bass, including a dink, 1-9 and a 3-6, but I lost four other ones. That quick hookset to avoid gut hook makes it tough, but I have been avoiding the gut hook so the bass are happy! Everything fell to Zoom rubber worms very tight to shore or structure. Grass is sparse, to say the least.

Thursday, July 19 (from Ken)...Couldn't resist the urge to make another trip to my favorite haunt: Albright's. Launched about 6:30 this morning and fished 'til 2 o'clock. For the most part, it was a day of frustration, but as I've learned, you can't have a banner day every time you go. And to be downright honest, I figured today was going to try my patience before I ever left the house. I planned to throw a new frog I just bought, and to be blunt about it: I genuinely suck when it comes to setting the hook on these baits. Today was no exception. I blew five mind-blowing strikes before I put the frog away and went to work with the chatterbait. Had one bass snatch the frog as soon as it hit the water and took off running straight toward the boat with it in his mouth--I know he had it, 'cause I saw him flash in the water with the bait. He was running so hard, though, I couldn't catch up to him with the reel, and when I finally did get tension, he spit out the bait and, like the other four, simply left me nursing my ego. The chatterbait proved to be equally challenging. While I had no problem getting hooked up, I couldn't keep the fish down. They all wanted to leap...three, four or sometimes five times...despite having my rod jammed in the water. I ended up losing 10 bass that way...all in the 2- to 5-lb. range (I saw every one of them leap). Ultimately, at day's end, I had boated a total of five bass, including three dinks, a 1-5, and a 1-9...all on the chatterbait. Tried to fish a SwimSenko today, but nearly every time I threw it, the bait snagged, so put it away and just wore out the chatterbait.

Friday, July 20 (from Ron)...Launched at Lotus Garden and fished Ashville Bridge Creek from 6:30 to 8 this evening from Sandbridge Road toward Back Bay. Caught four dinks and a 1-4. Ken, saw your Thursday report and feel the missed hook-up pain. I had a huge wake descend on my Zoom Speed worm this evening. Felt the big thump, let the line run for a few seconds, and set the hook. Immediately, the drag was screaming, and I was convinced I had a monster bowfin. When he jumped, though, I got to see what was easily a 6-lb.-plus monster bass, and I was heartbroken when he threw the hook. Oh well...tomorrow is another day.

Friday, July 20 (from Charlie)...Passed the Lotus Garden on the way back from fly rodding the “D” pool at the BBNWR. Got eight bass and four pickerel...biggest was big 8 inches. Still a lot of fun.

Sunday, July 22 (from Ron)...Launched at Indian River Road this morning. Upper West Neck was a bit murky, but as I traveled south, toward West Neck Creek Road, the water became very clear. However, that didn't help the fishing. High water and increasing winds drove me away about 10:30. Did get one tap and one dink bass on the Zoom Ultra Vibe worm to avoid the skunk. Also tried topwater and spinnerbaits. Really wanted to get back out this evening, but with gauge at 3.5 and all this wind, think I will just stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment