Wednesday, May 2, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, May 6, 2018



Wednesday, May 2 (from Ken)...Fished coves in West Neck Creek today and managed to catch a total of 14 bass and 1 bluegill. Everything went for my tandem-bladed spinnerbait. My best two fish only weighed 1-3 and 1-6, with several more that went 15-oz. and 1-lb. even. Spent a little time fishing the main creek's shoreline without so much as a smell. Generally speaking, most of the fish in the coves were located from midway to the very backs. Had a feeling I would see some of those slithery creatures today, so was on high alert the whole time I was on the water. As it turned out, I only actually saw one snake--a small one that was resting in some limbs of a small cypress. I simply bumped up the output of the trolling motor to quickly put distance between us. All in all, it was one of those days you don't write home about, but it was all fun. Got to watch several strikes from fish that came out from under laydowns I was paralleling to snatch my spinnerbait. Besides those fish I boated, also lost about 4 that went airborne and spit the lure after I had hooked them. Not sure when I'll get back out. Will just have to play it by ear.

Saturday, May 5 (from Ron)...Been chasing the bluefish in Rudee Inlet for the past few days. Am finding a bunch of smaller ones in the high teens, a couple of short flounder, and a little striper. The crowds are getting bad, what with all the big charter boats, tons of kayaks and fishing boats, and paddle boarders...it's really crazy. Making one more trip tomorrow, then back to all fresh, I think. Witnessed an osprey catch something a bit too large this morning in Rudee. He struggled for a few minutes but had to let it go, so he could take off. Was a sight to see. (Gotta say I'm happy to see that we humans aren't the only ones who mistakenly overload our you-know-what from time to time.--Ken)

Sunday, May 6 (from Ron)...Fished Rudee this morning and was all alone. Was super murky from rain and runoff and got no bite. Did bump into one small gray trout that I dropped before taking photo. Fished again in the evening, 5:30 to 7:30, in upper North Landing. About 10 minutes  after launch, got a nice 2-0 on the XTS and thought it was gonna be great! However, it was 1.5 hours later before I caught a dink after about 20 strikes that I suspect were gar. Tried Zooms, Prank crankbait, spinnerbait and Senko. Heavy outflow with a falling gauge like I had this evening used to be great for bowfin, but it's been a long time since I found any. At least, I didn't get skunked, and the bugs were not too bad, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment