Monday, May 28, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, June 3, 2018



Monday, May 28 (from Ron)...Fished Rudee Inlet yesterday morning and was skunked. Went to Ashville Bridge Creek yesterday evening and caught only two catfish--a mud cat and a channel cat. Both hit a trolled beetlespin. This morning, I headed to Lovitt's, where I found only one 13-inch bass. The micro white perch were being a pain in the bum and wouldn't stop hitting the beetlespins.

Wednesday, May 30 (from Ron)...Fished upper North Landing Tuesday evening and managed one dink (9 inches) to avoid the skunk. Tried Lake Whitehurst this evening and lost four before finally landing a 3-2 to again avoid the skunk. It's been difficult, to say the least. Oddly, seems like everyone else I hear from and talk to are doing well.


Thursday, May 31 (from Ken)...It's always nice to visit old haunts like the two I fished today--handn't been to either one in a number of years. I didn't exactly set the world on fire but did have a lot of fun. Caught a total of 2 white perch and 13 bass, including nine dinks, a 2-7, 1-11, 1-9, and a 1-6. And once again, everything came on my favorite Japanese topwater bait. Occasionally tossed a couple of other baits and did have a few passes with one of those, but couldn't get a hookup, so went back to what was working. Ended up having to sit through one very minor shower, but it wasn't enough to make me look for cover. Had to relearn where some submerged logs and stumps are located, but for the most part, I found my recollection of things was better than I expected. After my experience of today, am giving some thought to revisiting some other old haunts in coming trips. With the water as high as it is at the present time, the sky seems to be the limit on where you can go.

Thursday, May 31 (from Ron)...A bit better trip. Fished Blackwater Creek this evening from 5:30 to 8 p.m. and found a nice one (4-3), as well as three dink bass. I remember an old report from Charlie in which he said, "The further into the creek you go, the smaller they get," and that is what happened. Found the 4-3 on a Senko on the way in. Should  have stayed closer to the main river. Dinks fell to the Senko and Whopper toward darkness. Tried the XTS early on, but the gar were hitting it left and right, so put that away.

Thursday, May 31 (from Skip)...Had a lot of hits on the Whopper Plopper but only managed to put a couple of them in the boat. Also caught a couple more on flukes and worms, for a total of five on the day. (Not surprised to see that Skip got some on the WP. I watched a fella who was bank fishing from the point near the West Neck ramp as I launched my boat. He, too, was throwing a WP, and when I heard a fish break water, I glanced up to see this gent's spinning rod all bent over. He ended up landing the fish--about 3 lbs. worth of largemouth bass.)


Friday, June 1 (from Ron)...Had a pretty good evening at Tecumseh from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. My first bass on the SwimSenko was a 5-2! Followed that with a 1-14 and a 2-14, as well as what I think is a warmouth. I have caught them before, but only in upper North Landing. Grass is getting thick, so couldn't use the XTS. Trolled a Whopper Plopper back to launch and caught a 10-inch white perch, as well as something that threw the hooks. Not a bad night, but it was miserably hot! Oddly, lily pads are almost non-existent.



Saturday, June 2 (from Ron)...Fished the saltwater at Rudee Inlet and avoided the skunk with a wee dink flounder. Saltwater gear is getting put away. Very crowded.


Sunday, June 3 (morning) (from Ron)...Was having a good morning trip in upper Back Bay. Had just started finding them (two dink bass and a 1-5) when two boats crowded me out, so I left. SwimSenko was the ticket, even though the water was very murky from all the rain. Grass is not thick yet. The 1-5 was a skinny fella. They were not interested in a few different topwater lures that I tried.

Sunday, June 3 (evening) (from Ron)...Fished West Neck from 6 to 8 and didn't see anyone else. Weather was on my side. Caught two more dink bass and a 2-3 that was the same length as my morning 1-5. Both were just shy of 18 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment