Tuesday, May 22, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, May 27, 2018



Tuesday, May 22 (from Ken)...Decided to spend my 75th birthday the same way I've spent many others over the years--by seeing if I could catch a few fish. Turns out that I indeed still can put some in the boat. Whacked a total of 10 bass today, including eight dinks, a 1-12, and a 2-6. Like last week, my only productive lure today was that expensive Japanese topwater. It was noon before I put the first fish in the boat, and considering I quit at 2:45, I don't feel too bad about my final tally. Unlike last week, coves really didn't seem to be the answer today...until, that is, the last 30 minutes of fishing. I ducked into a cove and quickly boated my final three bass. Today undoubtedly will be my only trip this week, since our next tournament is Saturday. Gotta figure out where I'm going to take my new partner, Jr., on our first pairing.

Tuesday, May 22 (from Ron)...Had a computer glitch yesterday. Monday, fished a creek off Back Bay. Caught four dink bass, three white perch, and a crappie. Water was down a bit, and the fishing was OK. Caught all on XTS Minnow. Today, with the gauge below 2.7, I was able to limbo my way under the Milldam Creek Bridge and return to an ol' favorite stomping ground. Water was crystal clear, and the bite was OK. Caught one dink bass, four white perch to 11 inches, two crappie, and a favorite bowfin that peeled some drag and tipped the scales at 5 lbs. 4 ozs. Most fish took the XTS, but the bowfin hit the Booyah Prank on top. It was another trip in which I lost more than I caught. Really pretty evening, and the storms never materialized.

Thursday, May 24 (from Skip)...Pictured here are three of the five fish I caught between 9 and 2. I caught a 2.3 but forgot to take the pic after I weighed it. I dropped the camera on the last one,  and it almost went overboard. All the fish were caught on a fluke. All but the first one were keepers.

Thursday, May 24 (from Ron)...Fished Lovitt's on Wednesday evening, from 5:30 'til dark. Only caught one dink, four small white perch, and a small mud cat. The Lake Whitehurst boat ramp opened today at 4 p.m., but the ceremony lasted till 5 o'clock, before all the people were gone and I could actually park and access the ramp. Explored the lake from 5 to 8:15. It is a big lake, and I concentrated on shoreline structure with Senkos. First bass was a 3-0, and I thought "this is going to be great!" By recovery, however, I only had managed another four dink bass, to about a pound each, and one micro crappie. Had several very hard hits that didn't produce a fish; not sure what they were. The bass strikes were mild, but the line moved out, and my hookset worked for them. It was an interesting trip. I was trying to find a walleye, but didn't get any. The boat ramp is too narrow (tough to recover alongside a single johnboat), and the parking is inadequate (West neck can accommodate more cars and trailers). Probably should expect nightmare crowds, especially on weekends. With little pressure over the past 10 years, I am sure there are some big 'uns in the lake. Again, it is a very big body of water, and I'm not sure if I have the patience to figure it out.

Friday, May 25 (from Ron)...Fished Lake Whitehurst from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Parking lot almost was full. When I recovered, there was overflow parking on the grass. Ended up skunked. Tried Albright's this evening from 6  p.m. till dark. Hooked a gar, one of many that hit my lure. Landed a dink bass on a ZMan Pop ShadZ topwater. Far too many people with boats and jet skis enjoying the nice weather. At least I was able to unhook the gar without handling him.

Saturday, May 26 (from Ron)...Launched Munden Point Park at 0800 and crossed to Milldam for an uneventful and too windy trip. Caught a few small white perch and a small crappie, no bass and a few gar strikes. Return trip was difficult due to watercraft traffic. Headed back out at 1830 for a short trip to Lovitt's and fished for an hour before finding a 1-12 on the Pop R. Had another soon after that throw the lure on a spectacular jump. Not the best day.

No comments:

Post a Comment