Monday, December 25, 2017

Enjoy It While You Can...


'Cause the day is coming when that wrinkled skin you get from sitting out there on a boat in an all-day rain won't entirely fade away as you dry. Don't be fooled by those who will try to convince you that "getting older" is just a state of mind. I'm here to tell you it's that and a whole lot more.

Just wait 'til the day comes when you start to scratch your head and happen to notice all those wrinkles in the skin on your bent arm. Sure, those wrinkles (most of  'em, anyway) disappear as soon as you put your arm down, but I think I safely can say you won't be able to get that image of those wrinkles out of your head. And if you want to really get grossed out, try striking a full-body manly pose in the au natural in front of the bathroom mirror after you've seen those wrinkles on your arm. There's no hurry; just wait 'til one day when you're getting ready to step into the shower. A word of caution: You might want to make sure that your significant other isn't standing behind you at the time.

So, what got me to thinking about this topic? Well, it started with a Christmas morning email from my friend, Skip. His note read as follows: "Yesterday morning, despite it being misty, rainy and cold, I ran into Eddie Sapp at 7-11. He had his boat hooked up and was going fishing. I couldn't help thinking, 'Ah, to be young again!'"

"My sentiments exactly" was my first thought. Then I mulled it over for a moment or two and came to the conclusion there might be a blog post in that statement. Following a little bit of Internet research, I knew I could make something of Skip's comment. Turns out I learned a couple of things in the process, too.

For example, did you know that cold weather puts pressure on the heart, especially in that of...ahem...the elderly? The cold temperature thickens the blood and constricts the arteries. I had a good firsthand example of that during my latest fishing trip, when I happened to stick myself with a treble hook. It took several seconds for a single spot of blood to appear on my index finger, and then it just sat there in a blob until I wiped it on my jeans. According to the British Heart Foundation, this pressure on the heart results in it having to work harder and causes an individual to be more susceptible to a heart attack or stroke.

A person suffering from cold temperatures also may be affected cognitively, showing signs of clumsiness, lack of coordination, confusion, and sleepiness.

Older people, most notably those with existing medical conditions, further are more sensitive to the effects of hot weather, as well. For example, people suffering with heart disease will find it more difficult for their bodies to circulate blood properly and dissipate heat. Certain medications also can cause problems for some elderly during hot weather. Diuretics, for example, cause water loss, and, therefore, when the outside temperature increases, dehydration is accelerated.

Anyone who knows Skip knows that he often fishes with an umbrella over his pedestal seat during summer. He and at least one other fellow tournament angler, whom I know, take medications that are affected by their exposure to the hot sun.

The reality is that the older we get, the more sensitive we become to temperature changes.


According to Al Lindner, anglers 30 years old or younger and competing on the tournament trails are focused solely on making a name for themselves. As they grow older, though, a lot of other things become more important to them. Read the entire InFisherman article about the changes that occur in the mind and body of old anglers by clicking on this link: http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/catching-fish-and-the-mind-and-body-of-old-anglers/.

No comments:

Post a Comment