Monday, November 6, 2017

The Line for Free Window Washes Forms to Starboard


Took my boat to Wayne's yesterday for a couple of jobs, one of which was to replace the float switch for my bilge pump.

In his usual manner of not leaving anything to chance after doing a repair, Wayne used the garden hose at his place to fill the bilge with water until the switch activated. Once the overboard discharge had stopped, we battened down everything, and I headed back to my storage shed at West Neck Marina.

I was taking off from the first traffic light when I happened to notice, from my rearview mirror, that more water was pumping from the outlet on the starboard side of my boat. It stopped as quickly as it started, and I figured that would be the end of it. However, the same thing happened at each of the next three traffic lights, and I now noticed that all the traffic approaching from the lane to starboard was giving me a wide berth.

I couldn't help chuckling to myself, but I also knew there were others who probably didn't find much, if anything, funny about what had been happening. At least, no ragtops passed by until after all the residual water had pumped overboard. Otherwise, someone might have gotten the same treatment I once saw "dumped" on a carload of young dudes in a convertible at a stoplight.

Seems these young dudes were playing some very loud rap music, which the occupants in a hi-rider pickup beside them didn't particularly care for. To show their lack of appreciation, the driver took two nearly full Slurpee cups and unceremoniously emptied their contents in the laps and on the heads of several of those young dudes. Incidentally, the radio went silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment