Monday, November 27, 2017

For the Week Ending Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017



Monday, Nov. 27 (from Ron)...Not enough time, tides and such didn't line up for HRBT, so opted for a short trip to Milldam from 3:30 'til dark this evening. Bass were active in Milldam. Caught a 1-11, 1-14 and seven dinks that were all 11 to 12 inches and just shy of a pound. Lost a really nice chain pickerel yakside. He had the XTS buried deep, and as he was thrashing around yakside, he severed my line and made off with my $2.84 XTS. He won, maybe. Hope he throws it. Caught bass on the XTS, Beetlespin and Pop R. Was a nice evening 'til the sun dipped below the trees, and the cold crept in. At least, it was glass-like calm. Surprisingly, no panfish.

Tuesday, Nov. 28 (from Ron)...Fished from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. Took two hours before I got a single tap, and then, as I was trolling an XTS back to the launch site, caught a 1-14 bass to avoid the skunk. Threw back out, and a few minutes later, caught a length-citation yellow perch. That was all. Really pretty evening out there, but the bite was very poor.


Wednesday, Nov. 29 (from Ken)...After about three weeks of being stranded ashore for various reasons, I finally managed to get back on the water today. Fished West Neck Creek from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., ending the day with a total of 10 bass, all caught on a square-billed crankbait. Seven of the fish were dinks, with the best three weighing in at 1-2, 1-3 and 4-9. The water was off-colored both above and below the bridge, which was a little disappointing after hearing a couple reports about how clear it had been late last week and throughout the weekend. The ticket to success today was to crank your lure as slow as possible, making sure to hit every piece of wood you found multiple times.




Wednesday, Nov. 29 (from Jim)...Ran into my friend, Jim B., today, who also was getting back on the water after a long absence. He ended the day with a total of three bass, including two dinks and the 1-9 pictured here. His fish also fell for a crankbait.



Thursday, Nov. 30 (from Ron)...Last week, the tidal coefficient was so low there was barely any current,  and the bite was so so. Went this morning with a very high coefficient from 0100 to 0400.  Almost unfishable due to current, and the chop was pretty scary. Had to stay "inside" and away from where the bite "should" have been. Did manage five, with one at 24.5 inches, a drag puller, Yum! Supermoon perigee is Sunday, and the coefficient will only increase for the next few days. Moon is right outside my window! The current makes it very difficult to get "near" the pylons, and those pylons will really bend a rod!!! Caught three of those.

Friday, Dec. 1 (from Ken)...I listened to the weather forecast before leaving the house this morning, so knew it was going to be breezy. Apparently, a lot of others heard the same forecast and just decided to sleep in, 'cause my van was the only vehicle in the parking lot when I launched, and it was the only one there when I recovered about 2:30. Never saw another boat all day long. All in all, I can't complain about the fishing. Used the same bait today that I used Wednesday and caught a total of two white perch and seven bass, the biggest of which only weighed 1-2, with only one more (a 14-ouncer) eclipsing the 12-inch mark. The fish in the photo, as well as most of the bass I boated today, took a treble in the tongue, and immediately went to bleeding when I unhooked 'em. They all swam away on their own power, though, as soon as I dropped them over the side. Armed with a thermos full of hot coffee and plenty of warm clothing, I managed the conditions today with only minor discomfort early this morning. I was quite comfortable when I quit. With the north wind, the water was going out steadily all day, but I knew there was plenty to last until I would be quitting. It still was above the crack when I came off the water.



Saturday, Dec. 2 (from Doc)...Went out today around 10:15. The water was low and cold.Winds were light, and the weather cooperated. There were two other boats on the water. Talked to a gentleman who said he caught six bass but was using minnows. I only boated one 13-incher. Lost three at the boat. Caught everything on a shallow crankbait.

No comments:

Post a Comment