Saturday, January 21, 2017

Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone...


Each "gone" in the title of this post signals a fish that I caught today on the "gone"-colored Shadow Rap Shad (slow-rising model). There would have been two more gones, but I had two small bass come unbuttoned on their way to the boat. Nevertheless, I look at it as a good day, especially considering how dismal the weather was the whole time I was on the water.

I very well may pay a price for today's trip--Uncle Arthur already is doing a little barking, and if the usual pattern ensues, it only will get worse from here. But that's OK, I satisfied an itch I've had for several days, and that's what really matters.

I started out fishing my way toward the mouth of West Neck this morning but only had boated one bass by noon, so ran and started above the bridge, where the water temperature was running about two degrees higher than the other direction. At the end of my five hours (from 9:30 to 2:30), I had caught a total of two white perch and three dink bass.

The best part of my day came as I was fishing my way through the S-curve above the bridge. A couple of minnow dunkers just had passed me and shut down only spittin' distance away. They each had put about three lines in the water and hadn't caught anything yet when I started up the opposite shoreline and immediately put two white perch in the boat with my jerkbait. As I moved away from them a short distance, I looked back over my shoulder to find the two of 'em scrambling to get re-anchored in the area where I just had caught those fish. Couldn't help chuckling a bit to myself.

Have to admit I was a bit nervous at times today, because the duck hunters were out in force doing their thing. I found myself ducking a couple of times when I couldn't tell exactly what direction they were aiming. But, alas, there were no close calls--that I'm aware of anyway.

The water going toward the mouth, for the most part, was off-colored, but it got markedly better above the bridge, which made me have a few regrets for not starting there this morning.

Don't know when I'll get out again. I only know it won't be until the currently predicted slug of rain has passed on by. And, most likely, it will be a weekday, which should somewhat limit the number of hunters I'll come across.

I was a little surprised to see a couple of "big boys" headed south yet today. Also saw one headed north. I had figured all that action was pretty much over with until warmer weather returns.


Just received an email from Ron. He too stirred the water today. Launched at Blackwater Road and fished Milldam Creek from about noon to 5 p.m.

His totals on the day included four bass (two dinks, a 1-3, and the 1-6 pictured right), a 9-inch yellow perch, two white perch (10 and 12 inches (see 12-inch one below), respectively), and two crappie (to 11 inches). He also lost a decent chain pickerel at yak-side.

Said Ron, "I have enough panfish for some Sunday-football tacos, thanks to my friends who also caught and shared a few crappie and white perch. Yum!" he exclaimed. "Was surprised to see the white perch this time of year; makes me wonder if the warm weather will throw off the 'schedule.'

"My bass today were caught shoreline, mid-channel and near structure (feeder creeks were too shallow to get into today)--a very erratic pattern."

Ron went on to note that, despite mostly clear water, he found many globs of slimy green stuff dotting the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment