Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Despite Rising Muddy Water, Still Found Some Fish


When I stopped above the West Neck Bridge about 9 o'clock this morning and saw how muddy the water was, I began thinking a trip to Albright's might be in order. The next 30 minutes, however, changed my mind.

In that time, I boated two white perch and three bass, including a dink, a 1-7 (right), and a 1-10 (below). I figured the stage might be set for an outstanding day, but it proved to be something different. I fished a short ways past the S-curve without another bump. It already was noon then, so I discounted a trip to Albright's and instead decided to run to the mouth of West Neck and work my way back toward the marina.

By the time I quit at 2:30, I had boated another three bass, all ranging between 10 and 12 inches. The only productive lure today once again was my gone-colored Shadow Rap Shad. I fished a couple of different crankbaits throughout the day, without ever feeling anything resembling a fish.

From a beginning temp of 42 degrees, the water had warmed to 50 by the time I called it quits and was heading back to the ramp. A couple other trailers were in the parking lot when I got back, and one still was there when I headed home about 4:30 this afternoon.

Once more, I have to wait and see what the weather is going to do before I lock in plans for another trip. The only thing I'm certain of is that the next trip won't occur next Wednesday because I rescheduled a doctor's appointment from today to then. But I'll be trying to get in at least one day next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment