Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Restoration of a Skeeter SX-170 Rig - Stage 1

When I sold my Skeeter SX-170 a couple of months ago, I knew the buyer, Jean- (pronounced "zhahn") David, or JD as he's usually called, was going to give it a complete make-over. And, as you easily can tell in the accompanying photos, that process is well underway.

The trailer, as you see it here, is being rebuilt with all new hardware and parts. Said JD, "I spent four days getting it to this state of readiness."

He went on to explain that he "put the trailer up on saw horses and just cut everything off the frame and started over." He didn't really have much choice, given the ravages on the under-carriage from years of fishing brackish water. Then came 1.5 days of sandblasting, followed by priming, painting, new bunks, new axle--"heck, new everything," said JD.

When the trailer is done, he plans to start on the boat. "I already have a new trolling motor, Lowrance depth finder/GPS, and a bunch of other new parts," he noted in his email.

What does he think? "I love it!" he exclaimed. "It's my baby."

The only regret JD has is knowing he must share time on his restoration project with his full-time job as an American contractor working in Korea. The accomplishments you see in the accompanying photos occurred during a visit home in Newport News earlier this month.

JD told me he plans to pick up where he left off when he returns home again at Christmastime, if not sooner. And he has promised to keep me updated on all the progress for posting on my blog... so stay tuned. You'll see the project all the way to the finished product along with me.


UPDATE

In an email I received 7/21/2015, JD included this photo of the SX-170 tucked away in its new temporary home while he's back on the job in Korea...










      ...hooked behind his tow vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment