Sunday, July 12, 2015

Finding a Way to Bridge the Color Gap Between Hardbaits and Soft-Plastics

A typical hardbait color chart
Have you ever noticed that soft-plastics manufacturers seem to be playing with a whole different set of colors than hard-baits manufacturers? There are a few the same or similar, but by and large, the color charts are about as far apart as north is from south.

I'm not the only one who has noticed the difference, either. For example, I recently read an item by Russ Bassdozer titled "Mind Your Greens and Browns." He was pointing out that "only soft plastics have shades of green and brown," but that "these colors hardly exist in all other lure types." If you'd like to read the whole Bassdozer article for yourself, go to http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/greens-browns.shtml.

I also stumbled across this online forum: http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/156949-why-is-it-that-hardbaits-are-not-common-in-the-most-popular-soft-bait-colors/, which addresses the same subject matter.

A typical softbait color chart
Because I had a couple of soft plastics in colors I'd like to see in a crankbait, I pulled up the Tim Hughes Custom Baits website, filled out an order form, and mailed my two crankbaits and the two sample soft plastics. I first contacted Tim and asked if he could do what I wanted, and he assured me he can.

My package arrived at Tim's place this past Thursday, so in 4 to 6 weeks, or maybe a little less, depending on the workload, I should see the finished products. Given the superb workmanship I've gotten from Tim in the past, I have no reason to be concerned this time. I'm certain his crew will match the colors to a T.

Will my hair-brained idea work? There's no way of knowing until I have a chance to run the acid test. If it doesn't, I'll only be out a few bucks, and at least, I will have put one unanswered question to this point in time to rest.

If, on the other hand, my idea does work, I'll probably be out some more bucks, because I'll need spares to replace the ones I lose in hang-ups. I always like to have extras of my proven fish-catcher baits. After all, nothing will wipe the smile off the face of a fisherman who's just hit the mother lode faster than breaking off on a big fish and realizing he doesn't have another lure like the one he lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment