Monday, April 28, 2014

His Time Finally Has Come

The man behind the cool shades and beard in this photo is about to take his bass-fishing experience to a whole new level. He's none other than Paul Celentano, a member of the Great Bridge Bassmasters and frequent competitor in the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series, Region 7 events, and other local open tournaments.

Let's just say "The Merry Month of May" promises to be a great deal more for Paul than just the name of an old poem he may have heard or read about somewhere along the way. You see, May is when this husband and father of one expects to take ownership of his first-ever bass rig.

Being nosey, like any good reporter always is, I was quick to ask him what kind of new "toy" he had decided was worth putting himself into such hock for, and here's what he told me. "I'm getting a 2014 Triton 18XS with a 150, complete with two Lowrance HDS touch screens with structure scan.

"I priced a bunch of different boats in the same class," Paul continued, "and was surprised to find that all of them in this size are evenly priced. I was very close to getting a Nitro Z7 but wasn't happy at all with the customer service at Bass Pro in Hampton."

I'm pleased for Paul, not the least of which is for the reason I had the pleasure of his company for several tournaments during the Dewey Mullins Memorial Series a couple years back. I got to see firsthand what it's like to have a "young gun" in your boat. He constantly was changing rods, changing baits, or modifying them--whatever it took to find something that would catch fish. And, man, when he set the hook on one, I felt the movement clear up on the front pedestal. 'Twas no need for me to look around and see what was happening--I just always dropped everything and started grabbing for the net.

Paul had talked about getting his own boat for a few years now, but rather than rush things, he set a list of priorities and stuck to it. While he was working toward this date with a new boat, he familiarized himself with what different platforms had to offer. He did this through his affiliation with a local bass club and fishing various open events with different partners. And, of course, there was the comparison of brochures and discussions with sales reps.

With his days of waiting nearly at an end now, Paul rightfully is anxious to get on with the freedom that comes with owning your own boat. No longer will he have to wait for or find a ride with someone else. He'll be able to go whenever he wants, wherever he wants, and that's a nice feeling indeed.

Noted Paul in his closing remarks to me in an email, "I can't wait to get it and join you guys!"--meaning, of course, the fellas who fish the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series.

We're looking forward to having you, my friend. And let me be among the first to wish you a hearty congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment