Tuesday, March 18, 2014

There It Goes--Make That "Went"-- Again

Yup, I'm talking about none other than the water that used to fill our little playground--in this particular case, West Neck Creek, as viewed today by my friend, Skip. He was on his way home from a doctor's appointment when he stopped to shoot this and the other accompanying photo from the comfort of his car. "It was too cold to get out," he said.

Once again, for the second time in as many weeks, strong, persistent, and cold northeast winds have delivered a devastating blow to the area that, in a manner of speaking, often serves as a "second home" to some of us die-hard bass anglers.

Oh sure, it's not the first time we've had to face this dire situation. A quick search of the Internet turned up this item ("Recent northeast winds leave bass anglers looking for water") from a May 2006 issue of The Virginian-Pilot: http://hamptonroads.com/node/97381. Read it and find out the nasty trick that northeast winds played on participants in a Bass'n Gals tournament that had launched out of Waterlily, which is located near Coinjock, NC.

And there have been a number of times over the years when I launched during a low-water-and-getting-lower period and subsequently cut my fishin' day short because I wanted to make sure I could get my boat back on the trailer. I once waited nearly too long to leave the back end of Albright's and was  sweatin' bullets just to find enough water to get on step, much less find enough at the ramp to recover my boat. Did I mention that I discovered some new stumps that day while I was trying to get on step?

With our first tourney in the 2014 Dewey Mullins Memorial Series set to kick off this coming Saturday, I want to believe that AccuWeather's predicted southerly breezes will arrive and bring back the water to our playground in sufficient quantity to launch boats. I know it'll be muddy, but hey, who gets their way about everything? I usually have a choice: ice cream or cake, but not both. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment