Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"Oh Crap" Moments--We All Have 'Em

I don't know anyone who ever goes looking for 'em. They more or less just have a way of finding you and, usually, when you least expect it. They may range anywhere from an excuse-me-while-I-catch-my-breath variety, to a nail-biting variety, to a sweating-profusely variety, to an I-need-a-change-of-skivvies variety, depending on the severity of the event involved.

I'd like to talk a bit about one of those I-need-a-change-of-skivvies variety. It happened during the 2013 B.A.S.S. Nation Florida state championship on Lake Okeechobee. Four anglers in two boats were involved, and I'm fairly certain that all of them probably needed a change of underwear once the water had settled.

The bass boat in this photo and another one were running a very narrow channel--called Cochran's Pass, so I understand--toward an area known as the Monkey Box, located in the southwest corner of the lake. Reportedly, a small-craft advisory had been issued this particular day, or these anglers likely would have been fishing the main lake.

The boat you see here was running an estimated 45 mph when the other boat came into sight--oh, incidentally, it was coming from the opposite direction and just had rounded a blind corner in this narrow channel. Bet I have your attention now, huh?

Oh, what the heck--watch the video for yourself, and then I'll continue. Just click on the link below. Let me warn you now, though, that there's some graphic language at the end.

 
It's just fortunate that, except for some soreness, no injuries were reported from this collision. Said the one passenger afterward, "I never would take somebody else down that trail. It's my life, and I can do what I want with it, but I would only go through there by myself. I wouldn't put someone else at risk. I was pretty upset about that."
 
Now here are the links to a couple more "oh crap" moments (of other than the I-need-a-change-of-skivvies variety) that I came across en route to finding the crash video you just watched:
 
Stuffing a bass boat during a tournament on Ottawa River, Canada
 
Champion bass boat loses big motor on Truman Lake, Missouri, because of loose bolts on the jackplate
 
Hope you enjoyed. I'm just trying to keep everyone entertained until this nasty weather leaves town for good, and we all can get back on the water. Let me add this one note, though: Let's do it safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment