Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hook, Line & Sinker...


The weatherman's promise of sunshine today, despite a bit cooler temperature than yesterday, was all the inducement I needed to go back for seconds. Like yesterday, I launched about 10 o'clock and fished until 2:45. There was only one other trailer in the parking lot ahead of me this morning, and it was gone when I came in, but Mike Evans' vehicle had replaced it. He stopped by on the water just long enough to find out how I was doing, then meandered to the opposite shoreline and started fishing.

This bass was my second one of the day. Tipping the scales at 1-2, he fell for that pineapple Bandit Footloose that the manufacturer tried to pawn off on me here recently as being khaki/brown back/scales. My first bass, a dink, fell for the same bait, and I had another one following the lure until he saw my boat, splashed his tail, and quickly changed directions. For the benefit of everyone reading this, please note that the bass is in my net--not on the floor of my boat--for this picture. None of my fish today touched the carpet, which is in keeping with a promise I made to everyone not too long ago. In each case, I rested the net on my lap as I snapped a picture, weighed the fish, then released it. Hope that makes everyone happy.

The bass in this photo weighed in at 1-4 and was one of three bass that I boated between 1 and 2:30 today on my chartreuse/white chatterbait. I watched all three fish follow the bait, then take it in their mouths ever so gently before turning and trying to dart away with the lure. In addition to these two keepers, I had one more 12-incher. The other two only would have gone 8 to 10 inches.

The water level at 10 o'clock was 3.4 feet, which is what it was showing when I quit yesterday. When I came in this afternoon, though, it read 3.2 feet. With the northeast wind I saw in the forecast this evening, that level is going to drop dramatically.

Like yesterday, too, I found some water that looked clear, while other stretches looked a tad muddy. At launch time today, the water temp at the ramp was 45. Unfortunately, I forgot to check it when I came in this afternoon.

For the record, I gave the Yo-Zuri SS Minnow a fair workout today but didn't have the first fish act interested. I'll keep giving it a try, though, 'cause I know it will catch fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment