Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...


After nearly two weeks without a fishing rod in my hand, I couldn't wait another day. I checked the weather forecast early this morning and decided to take my chances with the "isolated showers" the weatherman was predicting.

It was 9:30 before I got on the water, and I came off at 2:30. In those five hours, I fished a 5-inch Senko worm, a chatterbait, a couple different topwaters, and several different colors in a silent Strike King crankbait. The only producers were the Senko worm and three colors of the crankbait series. My total bag was only three bass, three white perch, one small striper, and two pickerel. The best fish of the day was a 2-15 that snatched the Senko as soon as it hit the water. I also lost a couple of decent bass today--both on crankbaits. I didn't have a single topwater strike, even though there were a fair number of fish chasing pods of baitfish.

The best news of the day, as far as I was concerned, is that I seem to have full use of my left arm again. I kept the band on it all day and never had the slightest twinge. However, for the time being, I'm sticking with the left-handed Lew's baitcaster for fishing my worms. I just wish I could get past the awkward feeling I experience every time I try to pick out a backlash or, as I learned today, to reel in a decent-sized bass with my left hand. Perhaps, with time, I will get used to the new way of doing things. However, I'm using my right-handed Lew's for everything besides worms.

I was lucky enough to get my boat tucked in the shed before three of those "isolated" heavy showers hit this afternoon, drenching everything in their paths. I'm happy to be getting in my licks again--just hope things stay "cool," at least until after the Classic the weekend of Oct. 13-14.

No comments:

Post a Comment