Monday, October 29, 2012

Effects of the Storm

I had an email from Skip Schaible yesterday, telling me about the grim scene he had found at West Neck--channel markers completely out of the water, only a couple inches of water at the ramp, etc., as a result of Hurricane Sandy. I decided to grab my camera this morning and go have a look for myself.

When I returned home a bit ago, there was an email waiting for me from my kayaker friend, Charlie Bruggemann, giving me a heads-up about a new posting on his blog. A friend of his had gone to both West Neck and West Landing on Oct. 27 and taken some pictures, and Charlie has posted a comparison of those shots with some he took during a 2007 storm. You can see all of them by going to http://vbfishguide.blogspot.com/.

After checking out those pictures, you might want to look at these I took this morning. Please let me apologize up front for "fuzziness" in some of the photos. Part of the problem was due to the fact I was shooting through the windows of my van in several cases. Anyway, here's what I got:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Water on one side of the culvert that crosses the road behind the boat barn was 
running bank full...
 
...While the water on this side (next to the barn) was gushing out as fast as it
could go.
 
 
Looks like this house near the intersction of West Neck and Indian River has a
lake in the front yard now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment