Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...


A little earlier today, when I was out to the marina taking care of some things with the boat, I ran into Skip Schaible, who just had come off the water from a day's fishing. I asked him if he had done any good, and he told me about these two fish:




                     Weight: 2 lbs. 8 ozs.









  Weight: 3 lbs. 3 ozs.





The 2-8 was caught on a fluke-style bait. The 3-3 fell for a popper. Both fish came from West Neck Creek.

Later this afternoon, I also received an email from my kayaker friend, Charlie Bruggemann. He went to Back Bay this morning--before sunrise. "I found nothing moving," he said, "and it stayed that way all day. The water was low and muddy," which he surmises was at least part of the problem.

Until about 10 minutes before he quit, Charlie only had had three dinks on for a second, and when he set the hook, each of them went airbone and spit the business end of his Gamakatsu EWG. It was while Charlie was trying to avoid a cottonmouth in that last 10 minutes that he managed to boat a 2-2 and salvage his otherwise dismal day--or so he thought.

Charlie then experienced what my family doctor keeps referring to as one of those "age-related events." In simple terms, he pulled a muscle in his back, which likely will put him on the shelf for a couple of weeks or so. Misery may love company, Charlie, but I assure you I wouldn't wish that on you, even if you were my enemy. If I did, I'd probably end up with tendonitis in both arms, or maybe worse.

With both of us laid up, Skip, it looks like you'll have to carry the load all by yourself for a spell. Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment