Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...


Having been out to the marina yesterday and checked the water level, and knowing the weather forecasters were calling for less wind today, I had decided I would spend the day on the water. I wanted to see if I could atone somwhat for the dismal showing I had made in Saturday's tourney. For a while, things weren't looking too good--it was 10 o'clock (2.5 hours after I had launched) before I put my first fish in the boat today.

My choice of locations was West Neck Creek, given the lower water level that existed after a couple days of north winds. I began the morning by throwing a fluke in white ice, to no avail. I also tossed a curl-tail worm in junebug red for a spell, with the same results. I then went through some wakebaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and crankbaits--still with no luck. The crankbaits I had been throwing were 3/8-oz. models, so I decided to downsize to a 1/4-oz. Bomber in chartreuse with a black back, and that's when things started happening.

By day's end, I had boated 11 bass and a 15-inch striper. All but one of the bass had fallen for the Bomber. The lone other bass went for a swim-tail Senko in green pumpkin with black flake. The sizes were nothing to brag about, with the biggest of four keepers only going 1-7. My best fish of the day was my last fish of the day, which I hooked up near the mouth of West Neck. It, too, smacked the Bomber and took off for open water, slipping drag as he went. Evidently, though, I didn't have a good hookset, because moments later, the lure simply came loose.

I have to admit that I'm impressed with the action of the swim-tail Senko. Besides the action, I like the fact that I can keep moving at a decent pace while fishing it. I very well may have to look and see what other colors are available besides the one I used today. I had a couple other strikes with the swim-tail but was a little too slow in pulling the trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment