Friday, September 14, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...


Before I start this report of my day's fishing, I need to take care of more important business. I need to let everyone know what I learned from Jane this afternoon when I came in. She told me that Dewey has been in the Princess Anne Hospital since Wednesday. According to her, he first became ill sometime this past Sunday. The diagnosis, as I understand it, is that Dewey has a twist in part of his intestines that, with time, the doctors think will return to normal on its own. As a result, if he is able to eat on his own in the morning, without vomiting or other complications, they probably will allow him to return home sometime during the afternoon. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that things happen just that way.

Now, about my fishing today. The water temp when I started at 7:30 was 72, and it had climbed to 79 when I quit at 2:30. The water was a good color, and it was clean--I barely had a scum line to clean up. And during the afternoon, the water started coming in ever so slightly. Like Tuesday, I stayed in West Neck, where a lot of nice bass continue to be caught.

I only threw two different kinds of baits today: 1/4-oz. Bomber crankbaits and 5-inch swim-tail Senkos. At day's end, I had boated one white perch and 15 bass, with seven of the latter qualifying as keepers. All the keepers ranged from 1-5 to 1-7. I caught five of the bass on the Bombers. All the rest fell for the Senkos. In a few cases, the bass would take hold of the Senko so gently I didn't even know I had a fish on until I'd feel the line suddenly get heavy or see it start moving sideways. In four of those instances, they must have just had hold of the tail, because when I set the hook, nothing was there. Again like Tuesday, most of my fish today came from the area between Marker #4 and the mouth of the creek.

When I arrived home this evening, I had an email from Charlie Bruggemann, telling me that he had gone to Back Bay today. He sat in the grass, tossing frogs, Johnson's Silver Minnows, and Gulp shads, and boated nine bass, along with a large pickerel and a skinny but legal striper. His best bass tipped the scales at 2-14. Charlie admitted that his froggin' skills today "were less than stellar." He missed a couple of big strikes. I would imagine it'll be sometime tomorrow before he gets his blog updated with the details and video of today's outing. To see it all for yourself, go to http://www.vbfishguide.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment