Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Day of Experimentation That Went Nowhere

(Left) 2 bass, (Right) 1 white perch


4 stripers

So went today, as I experimented with a whole host of topwater lures, in an effort to find something that might yield more than the usual 3 or 4 bass--and, perhaps, something that might closely resemble a "kicker" fish. The only thing I proved to myself today, however, is that, for the time being, I need to fish anywhere but West Neck Creek. Every one of the fish I boated were under a pound.

While I had a decent early spring here, my last several outings in West Neck have been nothing short of dismal. I even forced myself to spend the last 1.5 hours today fishing a Senko, which as anyone who knows my habits, will tell you is a strong signal that I'm having a super bad day. Soft plastics very rarely make my personal fishing "menu." I need to keep moving--just so I can stay awake.

The lure that accounted for all but one of the fish was a Bill Norman Thin N, in chartreuse with black back.

Given the way this day turned out, I'm not going to sit here and bemoan my failed experimentation. I plan to try getting my licks in one more day before this Saturday's tourney and hopefully find something that works. 'Till then, toodle-oo.

No comments:

Post a Comment