Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Smorgasboard Sort of Day


1 of each of these...


and 1 of these on the left, and 7 of these on the right...

That was the extent of my day on the water today.

With the even higher water today than yesterday and with the way the clouds started breaking up this morning, I decided to run to the back of Albright's, as I wanted to do yesterday. Immediately tried to establish a topwater bite, to no avail. The gar were everywhere, so that could have been part of the problem. The first several crankbaits I tried also proved to be useless. It wasn't until I tied on a 1/4-oz. Bomber that I actually caught my first fish--a white perch. A straight retrieve with that bait didn't even work. I had to shift to a crank-and-pause pattern before the bites started coming. That one lure accounted for all my fish today.

Met up with Skip Schaible in West Neck Creek just before I quit. He asked how I'd done, and when I told him, he said, "I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I was afraid I was holding my mouth wrong." From that, I interpreted that he had pretty much the same kind of day as I had. Also saw Joe McDevitt's vehicle and trailer in the parking lot, but never saw him on the water, so didn't have a chance to find out how he had done.

This will be my last outing until after the holiday weekend. I have no intentions of mixing it up with that crowd. Some of them already were showing up today to check out their boats and jet skis. Good luck to anybody planning to hit the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment