Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Which Is It: Redneck or Yankee Ingenuity?


Who knows? Better yet, who cares? According to the issue of BassBlaster, though, in which I found this gem, it was referred to as "redneck genius at work." All I know is that it sure brings back a lot of fond memories for me.

I was a young Sailor at the time, chasing smallmouths in the Shenandoah River every opportunity I got. Nearly every weekend would find me driving from our apartment in Falls Church, VA, to Front Royal, where I rented a johnboat from an old fella and his daughter who lived alongside the river. And I can't tell you how many times during those trips I came across nearly identical contraptions to this one. Most of 'em belonged to old-timers I would encounter on the river as I worked my way up and down the riffles.

As related in that popular 1960s tune by Mary Hopkin, "Those were the days my friend, [I hoped] they'd never end."

No comments:

Post a Comment