Monday, September 12, 2016

The "Latest" Word About the Official Opening of Pungo Ferry Landing Park



Anyone who has been following the litany of projected opening dates for this park very well may have grown tired and frustrated and decided just to pursue other interests. However, John Goodman is here to tell you that, indeed, plans are underway to "officially" swing open the gates to users and sight-seers alike here in the very near future.

Incidentally, I said "officially," because it's my understanding some folks "unofficially" already have been helping themselves to use of the park's new-old launch ramp. I heard they have had to replace the lock on the gate at least four times already. Someone apparently possesses a pair of bolt-cutters.

However, I digress. Getting back to the crux of the matter, John Goodman got a call this morning from the contact for the park's ramp, Susan Topping (ph.385-1118). She reported that the new ramp will open this weekend (which John interpreted as Friday) at 7:30 a.m. The regular hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., and there initially will be no fees.

Said John, "I didn’t question her about the hours further, though I really wanted to, from the perspective of a fisherman."

After all, it's like I was telling a friend the other day. I can launch at West Neck at safe light, run all the way to Milldam, and be fishing before 7:30 a.m. If the city is trying to save a few bucks, they'd be better served to open an hour or two earlier and shorten the closing time a commensurate amount--just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment