Monday, September 26, 2016

Looks Like Everybody Was Catching 'Em Today



Talked to my buddy, Skip, who used the new Pungo Ferry ramp for the first time today, and he was telling me that he caught a total of six bass before he called it quits about 2:30 this afternoon. All of 'em were keepers, anchored by the 3-pounder pictured at left.

And just like he's been doing trip after trip for several weeks now, he was using only one bait--you guessed it, a Whopper Plopper. Said Skip, "They only wanted it one way today, and that was S - L - O - W."

Also talked to Dave, my "E. F. Hutton guy," and he likewise had a good day. He caught a total of 11 bass, including five keepers. He also boated some crappie but indicated he couldn't find any concentrations of them. They were scattered hither and yon.

Rob Peppers and a partner I didn't recognize were on the water, as well. I chatted briefly with Rob but didn't find out what kind of day they were having.

My day was pretty decent. I already had matched my Saturday total of three bass an hour after I started this morning and even had a small crappie thrown in for good measure. By the time I wrapped things up, I had caught a total of nine bass, one crappie, and a bowfin that would have gone about 3 lbs. Only two of the bass were keepers: a 1-3 and a 1-6 (pictured right). All of the bass and the crappie came on a Pop R.

The bowfin picked on my Senko and paid for it with one wild ride when I set the hook. I had incurred a giant bird's nest and had been picking braid for about 10 minutes. As I was taking up the slack line in the water, I felt a tap-tap. I hesitated, saw the line move a little, then felt another tap-tap. After a third tap-tap, I decided it was time to set the hook on whatever it was. I stood up for extra leverage and drove the hook home so hard that the toothy critter came flying about 3 feet out of the water. After grabbing my boga grips and ramming 'em in his mouth, I took the pliers, removed the hook from the middle of his lower lip, and released him to fight someone else another day.

I have to agree with Dave. The day was perfect after the cloud cover moved in this afternoon. The bite subsequently picked up and made a good day even better. Too bad they can't all be like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment