Wednesday, September 28, 2016

High Water Not Exactly a Fan Favorite



Count kayaker Ron Ameika among that legion of anglers who don't particularly care for high water. When that's the case, he has very low expectations for doing well--a feeling borne out of experience. Take Monday evening, for example. The river gauge was reading 3.3 when he launched at Indian River Road, with plans to fish upper West Neck Creek.

Between 1730 and 1930, he scored only a 1-8 on the Whopper Plopper and missed one fish. Senkos, nor the XTS minnow, were working, and there were no visible baitfish around.

Said Ron, "I think all the bass were way up in the out-of-reach locations with the high water." And he probably was right. That's why, when the water is high, especially if the river gauge is reading 3.0 or over, I usually head to Albright's. Once there, I nose my boat as far back in coves as I can get, 'cause the fish follow the water.

As we all know, the current bout with high water all started last week. For a spell, I wondered if maybe I would have to trade in my bass boat for an ark. I got so bored listening to the rain hit the windows, then looking outside to find the street in front of my house flooded, I went looking for something to do--just to break the monotony and to keep my sanity.

I settled on reviewing some statistics from the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series. For the benefit of anyone interested, here are the overall combined averages (from 2013 thru 2015) typically needed to walk away with a money envelope from one of our events: 1st place - 13.35 lbs., 2nd place - 11.43 lbs., and 3rd place - 10.00 lbs.


Ron's trip to Nanney's Creek this evening (Wednesday, Sept. 28) resulted in two bass and two lost fish. His catch included a 1-10, which measured 14.5 inches, and a 1-5, which measured 14 inches.

"I think they are getting fatter," said Ron.

The productive lure this evening again was the Whopper Plopper. Ron indicated the fish still were way back in the skinniest feeder creeks, with no action at all in the main creek.

"The wind was a bear," he noted, before adding that Mill Landing was flooded out in spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment