Saturday, June 22, 2024

Look, It's a Deer; No, It's a Bear

That pretty well describes a conversation my Dewey's tournament partner, Wayne, and I had earlier this week. We had paid a visit to the North Landing River to do a little fishing, prior to tomorrow's scheduled competition.

We were making our way toward the back of a creek when Wayne looked in the distance and spotted what he first thought was a deer. A closer look, however, revealed that the would-be deer actually was a black bear.

This sighting put both of us on full alert as we neared the area where the bear had been standing in the water. Can't speak for Wayne, but this wasn't my first "dance" with one of these critters. First saw one several years ago in a different stretch of North Landing, but there was one major difference between the two sightings.

In the earlier incident, the bear was crossing the stream behind me, and I would have no choice but to go back through the same area to reach the main river. Thankfully, that bear simply took one look in my direction and proceeded on his way. He was nowhere to be seen on my breath-holding return trip.

And the one Wayne and I saw earlier this week simply turned and went back in the direction from whence he had come...or that's the way I remember it, at least.

Just goes to show that you never know what you'll find on a fishing trip. I, for one, simply hope I never have an up close and personal encounter with Sasquatch...or anything that looks like him. The same goes for a crocodile or venomous snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment