Sunday, February 11, 2024

Getting His Licks in When Others Won't Even Try

Had an email in my box this morning from Kayaker Ron that read: "XTS catches everything, even when it isn't working on the bass." Along with it was the accompanying photo at left.

Granted, it's one of those "toothy critters," but it's still a fish, and when you're having a super slow day, it gives you a tug on the end of your line and, more importantly, beats a skunk all to crap...er, so, that's my opinion. I made it a point this past season to keep a small crankbait ready every time Wayne and I hit the water, just so I could break it out if pushed to the wall to avoid having a skunk myself. That crankbait always has been good for at least one or more white perch.

As Ron explained, "I had three hits in three hours at Lake Tecumseh yesterday morning, and the gar was the only one I landed. Caught him on a green XTS Minnow. The water was very murky, and the wind was no fun, either," as is readily apparent in the photo below, which Ron also provided.

For the benefit of those who aren't familiar with Lake Tecumseh, it's a shallow 261-acre lake next to the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach. It is connected to the Back Bay estuary, which feeds into the ocean via the Asheville Bridge Canal. Owner of this lake is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Ron has been fishing Tecumseh since 2014...and for good reason. For openers, he caught his recent personal best (that 9-lb. 9-oz. bass) there. And as he explained to me in today's email, he saw a recent article which highlighted the fact several 9-pound citation bass were caught in this lake just last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment