Thursday, February 8, 2024

Flooding and Sea-Level Rise Projects Coming to VB's Biggest Watershed

That's what I learned earlier today after my friend, Skip, texted me, asking if I knew why the West Neck Marina's boat ramp was going to be closed this next Monday. I didn't have a clue, so I went straight to the man I figured would know: Jimmy Vaughan, the owner. Seems he recently received a letter from the city, outlining some major work projects that will affect the marina and a whole lot more real estate.

The Southern Rivers Watershed, encompassing approximately 205 square miles (or 67 percent of the area within the city limits of Virginia Beach), is set for three projects as part of the Flood Protection Program. Those three projects will include Pungo Ferry Road improvements, Sandbridge/New Bridge intersection improvements, and West Neck Creek Bridge improvements.


Included in the West Neck Creek Bridge project is design, property acquisition, and construction of a series of in-water miter gates spaced similarly to the existing bridge piers. These gates would be tied into West Neck Road with earthen levees. To ensure floodwaters do not flank this gated system, the bridge and sections of West Neck Road on either side of the bridge will be raised (about 9 feet), according to what Jimmy Vaughan told me earlier today. Plans call for the gates to remain open outside of storm events and are expected to have a minimal impact on the everyday creek flow and habitat.

Design of this estimated $69 million project began in December 2023 and is scheduled to continue through July 2028. The period then from July 2028 through June 2032 is programmed for the site-acquisition, private utility-adjustments, and construction phases.

Can't help but think that something this far-reaching is going to meet with some resistance from those who will be directly affected by all the planned work. If you're interested in obtaining a more complete picture than what I've presented here about the entire scope of all these projects, I invite you to click on the following link: https://pw.virginiabeach.gov/stormwater/flood-protection-program/southern-rivers-watershed/west-neck-creek-bridge.

In the meantime, let me explain how Skip's text message from this morning ties into this post. Jimmy Vaughan explained that he has elected to close the ramp to normal business on Monday, Feb. 9, because he has been advised to expect some barges to be using the ramp that day. As I understand it, workers will be taking some measurements and readings. Skip saw the "closed" sign Jimmy has posted on the premises and was just curious why. Ain't the first time Skip has tipped me off on a story, and I'm sure it won't be the last time either. Thanks, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment