Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Still Not Seeing Any Improvement in the Fishing Numbers


When I left the house this morning, headed for West Neck, I had hoped I'd be able to break out of the slump that has been dogging me for longer than I can recall now. That, however, proved to be nothing more than a pipe dream after five hours on the water.

Guess I should count myself lucky, in the respect that I didn't get skunked. However, I didn't derive much satisfaction from catching only two 1-pound bass during the course of the morning. Nothing happened until I had gone through a wide variety of baits and colors. And, as it turned out, I had only one bait in the size and color that produced my "matching bookends" this morning. Accordingly, I plan to get an online order off sometime before the end of the day for a couple of extras...just in case I lose this one bait before the fish turn on again...if that ever happens.

Saw Rob and Don during my travels on the water today. Other than that, though, I didn't see a soul...unless you count the one "big boy" I came across heading south as I was returning to West Neck at noon. Didn't find out what kind of day Rob and Don were having but have a sense they probably were having better luck than me.

Not sure how many more trips to the water I'll get before the next tournament on Sept. 25th, but am hoping for at least a couple. Things have to change eventually, and I want to be there when it does, so I can make up for some of this lost time. It only takes one good trip to make up for a whole bunch like I've been having.

Incidentally, I can't say enough good things about the weather today. Had a jacket on when I left the house this morning and was plenty comfortable all of my five hours on the water after I peeled my jacket off. Didn't break a sweat at any time. Perhaps fall really is getting close. Sure won't hurt my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment