Saturday, January 22, 2022

How Cold Is Too Cold for Bass Fishing?

It undoubtedly comes as no surprise to anyone that the answers to that question run the gamut, depending on whom you ask, of course.

Take Michigan pro Kevin VanDam, for example, who believes it's never too cold for bass to bite.

"Most of the fishing public believes bass activity shuts down when the water temperature gets into the mid-40s," he said, "but that's not true... . Even when our surface temperature here in southern Michigan is in the low 30s, die-hards are catching fish.

"Sure, in some cases, they have to drive their boats over thin ice to get to open water, but when they do, good things can and often do happen... .

"Obviously, you have to dress properly, but today's cold-weather clothing does an outstanding job for keeping the body warm," continued VanDam. "I also suggest a facemask and a good pair of thin performance gloves, such as those liners used by downhill skiers. They give you free finger movement, retain your feel, and keep your hands warmer than you think.

"It's not unusual to catch 20 to 25 bass a day once you locate them," added VanDam, "and 50 a day isn't out of the question. One day, three of us sat in the boat and threw at the same spot. In a two-hour period, we caught 64 bass, including some nice ones!

"Remember, it's all about the attitude!" he concluded.

Here's what some similar-minded weekenders had to say about this matter:
     * "I fish Pennsylvania waters clear up 'til I can't launch the boat because of ice or the snow on the ramp is too deep."
     * "Down here in SC, we put ice in our liquor or tea, not in the lake. We fish year-round."
     * "There's gonna have to be a severe blizzard to stop me!"
     * "As long as the lakes aren't frozen over, I will fish. I work outside in weather where the air temp is only 22 degrees, so it's no big deal to me."

Not everyone, however, shares that particular attitude. Consider the following commentary from a weekend tournament angler:

"I fished a tourney last March that had it all. From 6 to 8:30 a.m., it poured rain, with the temp hovering around 45 degrees. From 8:30 a.m. 'til noon, the sun came out, and it warmed into the upper 50s or lower 60s. Between noon and 1:30 p.m., there were thunderstorms with small hail. During the period from 1:30 to 4 p.m., the wind howled, dropping the temperature about 20 or 25 degrees.. And from 4 p.m. to weigh-in time, we had snow showers...and it spit snow the rest of the evening. I spent as much time putting clothes on and taking them off as I did fishing that day."

This same angler also recounted details of a holiday striper-fishing trip with his dad two years earlier:

"The air temp was in the low 30s and dropping when we started, with not a breath of wind...just bone-chilling cold. I was not about to admit to the old man I was freezing. After 3 or 4 hours, he finally said, 'We have to get out of here. It's too darned cold!' That admission came as a total surprise, because I've never seen my dad wear a pair of gloves or put anything on to cover his ears, despite the fact I've many times seen his ears as red as a fire engine. That was the first time I ever had heard him admit that it was too cold."

And finally comes this recollection of events from a January bass fishing trip a couple of fellas made to Lake Guntersville in Alabama a few years back.

"The wind was whipping up off the white-capped surface of the lake, and it wasn't just cold...it was extremely cold. Memories of that frigid boat ride we endured from the dock to the first fishing stop still linger. With teeth chattering, I tried to begin fishing, but my numbed fingers barely allowed me to tie on a lure. My eyes streamed tears from the ice-cold wind.

"Let's be honest: I thought I'd freeze to death that frigid Saturday morning. The only reason I was willing to endure such a miserable situation on a grey January morning in northern Alabama is simple: big bass!

"The bass didn't care how cold it was above the water. They were ravenously hungry and looking for breakfast. And yes, we caught some good bass. With each one we caught, I felt the cold a little bit less. By the time the third one had come in, I was feeling a whole lot better."

Although cold-weather bass fishing takes a little bit of preparation and gearing up for best results, some of the finest bass of the entire year are caught in January on the lakes of Alabama by those anglers who come ready for a cold boat ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment