Thursday, September 30, 2021

My Come-Uppins Are Coming in Spades

[UPDATE]

In the words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" Things are starting to trend upward.

Put my ol' van in the garage last Thursday and got it back Friday afternoon, complete with a set of new sparkplugs, new sparkplug wires, and a new distributor cap and rotor. Also had them do a lube and oil change, wheel balance and rotation, and a state inspection.

Then, just a little earlier this afternoon, I went and picked up my newly repaired laptop computer. And in case you're wondering, yes, both bills are paid. One thing is certain now, though: I won't be buying any new fishing gear in the near future.

Of course, if fishing doesn't get any better than it was this morning, I won't have any need for new tackle. Boated only one fish...about a 2-lb. striper. Talked to a couple other parties who were catching a few bass but nothing to write home about.

The water was coming in hard the entire 4.5 hours we were out, and the coloration in some of it left things to be desired.

'Tis the season for the annual migration south of those "big boys." For the most part, they were haulin' butt today. We saw several go right past Pungo Ferry in total disregard for the "no wake" buoys marking the area. Of course, the sign is missing from the area, so perhaps everyone is feeling empowered to do as they please...as long as John Law isn't looking, I suppose.


Here's why I say that. First off, I broke my boat here a few months ago. Second, yesterday afternoon, I broke my computer (borrowing my wife's for the time being). Third, this morning, I broke my ol' fishin' van.

And as if that isn't enough, my vertigo is back...reared its ugly head again last week. Not as bad as the first dose, but it still frustrates me a bit at times.

Don't have a clue yet when I'll be seeing my boat again. Last I heard, "I'm next," but your guess is as good as mine as to what that means. Feelin' more sure by each passing day, though, that I probably can kiss my fall jerkbait fishin' goodbye this year.

As for my laptop computer, it, in a manner of speaking, "exploded" yesterday as I opened it to do a blog article. The layers of plastic holding it all together separated, allowing me an "inside look" I just as well could have done without. The repairman tells me I may get it back this weekend but says not to pin my hopes too high on that estimate, 'cause it all depends on when the new parts arrive from out of town.

And then there's the issue with my van. Got in it early this morning to take my computer to the repairman. Just two problems, though: It was running rough, and the "service engine soon" light came on while I was letting the motor idle.

Ended up nursing the vehicle to the garage just before I started this post. In talking to the senior mechanic, I leaned that the problem likely stems from some spark plugs misfiring. In any event, I was told to expect a diagnosis to be forthcoming tomorrow sometime. If it turns out the repairs don't cost a fortune, I'll go ahead and have them service the van and do a state inspection. Don't you know I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This time around with the vertigo I spoke of earlier, it's more a nuisance than anything else. The bouts don't come as often or last as long as they did the first time a couple months ago, but I nevertheless have to deal with them.

I have to admit I hardly can wait for this string of bad-luck episodes to come to a screeching halt. Just hope my billfold "grows" some greenbacks before all the payments come due, 'cause otherwise, I may find myself in a heaping new kind of trouble.

Oh well, that's life, I reckon...which might be interpreted as "can't win for losin'."

3 comments:

  1. Ken, sorry you've had such a spate of mishaps of late; hope they all get resolved sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words from all.

    ReplyDelete