Wednesday, May 26, 2021

For Week Ending Sunday, May 30, 2021


Tuesday, May 25 (from Ron)...
With the gauge so low, most of my launch points have been inaccessible for the past few days. Headed out Tuesday evening to Back Bay and could not get to my favorite spot but found a few along the way. Caught three bass that were all below 2 lbs. and one gar. I was doing OK with the SwimSenko, but when I tied on a weightless white fluke, everything was nipping at it in the heavy grass areas. Gauge is recovering a bit, so will venture out this evening.

Wednesday, May 26 (from Ken)...Given what has been going on with the water level over the past three weeks or so, I truly didn't expect much today, and that's exactly what I got. The water was muddy, accompanied by a lot of floating debris. I fished West Neck from about 7:30 to 2:15 and only dodged another skunk, thanks to the fact a treble hook on one of my small crankbaits found the dorsal fin of about a 3- or 4-lb. gar near the mouth of West Neck. Initially thought I had hooked a bowfin but soon saw the coloration and knew what I had. Gotta say the gar put on quite a show until I finally was able to get the needle-nosed pliers on the hook. He certainly didn't need any enticement to take off once the hook was out of him. During my last couple of hours, found that I could draw some "iffy" strikes from fishing a chatterbait dead slow. Unfortunately, that slow presentation meant I spent more time having to go free my lure than fishing, which really got to be a pain. Surprised a bass as I eased toward the hung chatterbait on one occasion. In looking for my lure, I saw the fish frantically looking for an escape route, and once he saw it, he didn't waste any time taking it. At least, I finally got out again. Just didn't accomplish anything for which I felt like writing home about. With the holiday this weekend, you won't see me on the water again 'til we're past that, and it possibly may be June 5, our next tournament date, before I return to the scene. Under no circumstances do I plan to mix it up with the crowds that are certain to descend on West Neck Marina this coming weekend. Y'all have fun, ya hear?

Wednesday, May 26 (from Ron)...
Had one of those evenings where, if it could go wrong it did, and the wind didn't help. Fished Blackwater and was getting a bunch of lite nibbles, but no aggressive takers on the plastics. Managed one dink to avoid the skunk. (I have no doubt that your "lite nibbles," Ron, resembled the "iffy strikes" I mentioned in the previous report. Can't help feeling the bite was off everywhere today. I do know my friend, Skip, came up empty-handed, and the only other fisherman I saw on the water today was running constantly, which, more times than not, signals that he wasn't having much luck, if any, either. As the old saying goes, "That's the way the cookie sometimes crumbles," I reckon.)

Thursday, May 27 (from Ron)...
Fished for flounder this evening, in hopes of catching dinner; however, I didn't succeed. Caught two shorts and have the itch to try and find some keepers.





Saturday, May 29 (from Ron)...
After three days and a few shorts, I found a couple keepers: a 17.5 and and an 18-incher. Not huge but perfect for a nice Saturday evening dinner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment