Monday, April 5, 2021

For Week Ending Sunday, April 11, 2021


Monday, April 5 (from Ron)...
Fished from 3 to 7 p.m and caught 28 speckled trout. They ranged in size from very small up to two that were over 24-inch citations. In six years, I've only ever caught one 24-inch citation, so this was a very good day.













Tuesday, April 6 (from Ken)...Sure glad I didn't leave the house this morning with any expectations of having a stellar day on the water, 'cause I certainly would have been disappointed if that had been the case. I did figure to have at least one bass to my credit by day's end, but even that apparently was a bit more than the fishin' gods deemed appropriate. As it worked out, I spent about four hours this morning wasting my time with an assortment of crankbaits, jerkbaits, chatterbaits, and topwaters--none of which resulted in a single strike. Hit about four different spots, too. Ultimately decided to return to my roots--West Neck Creek--and try my luck there. The only lure I threw then, however, was a worm. And I have to admit it at least was nice to "feel" a fish finally, but three feels is all I got. I managed a solid hookset on the first fish, but quick seconds later, I felt that same fish sawing my 40-lb. braid on the log from which he had come, and in the blink of an eye, I felt the line go limp, followed by the fish showing himself as he departed the area. In the second and third instances, I jerked on what seemed to be solid hits, but neither time did I drive the hook through the plastic into their mouths. I can't help getting the sense that I'd better plan on throwing a worm about 85 or 90 percent of the time at this Sunday's tournament and hope that my hooksets prove to be far more adequate than they were today. The water color, in my opinion, still leaves a lot to be desired, but maybe it will be better by Sunday.

Tuesday, April 6 (from Ron)...Caught about a dozen speckled trout, with the biggest at 24 inches, as well as a nice surprise striper.













Saturday, April 10 (from Ron)...Still chasing the speckled trout and had a good morning with about 15 of them. Two were just over 23 inches, and I thought I had hooked into a record-sized speck, but it turned out to be a 26-inch puppy drum that bent the rod, screamed the drag, and towed me around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment