Saturday, April 17, 2021

For Period Ending Sunday, April 25, 2021

 

Saturday, April 17 (from Ken)...
Took my chances this morning on there not being a lot of anglers going out of West Neck, and it proved to be a good plan. Apart from the bank fishermen who were on the scene, there was only one other rig in the parking lot; it belonged to Dave. He and his partner, Gary, launched 30 or 45 minutes ahead of me and were out of sight by the time I headed out the channel from the West Neck Marina launch ramp. Ran to Albright's Creek, intent initially on seeing if I could find the rod and reel I lost overboard at last Sunday's tournament. After nearly an hour of searching, I gave up the hunt and began fishing. I quickly put a dink in the boat and went on to boat a total of eight bass before quitting about 3 o'clock this afternoon...my best day, by far, in a mighty long while. In addition to three dinks, I boated a 1-0, 1-2, 1-4, 1-7, and 1-15. Also lost a couple of fish today that came unbuttoned as I was bringing them to the boat. All of the fish came from two different short stretches of shoreline.

Wednesday, April 21 (from Ron)...
Got back out in the freshwater this evening at Ashville Bridge Creek. Wind made for a difficult trip, and though it was a short one, managed to find three dinks, a small crappie, and a small yellow perch, all on a gold spoon/white-skirt spinner. Looking forward to more freshwater fishing.

Thursday, April 22 (from Ron)...
This evening, the wind still was dreadful, but no rain. Donned a warm jacket and launched about 5 o'clock, hoping the wind would die down, but it didn't. Trolled to a spot to try some plastics, and on the way, I caught a decent crappie on the ol' XTS Minnow. Started throwing the SwimSenkos around the cypress and caught a dink, a 2-14, and a 4-10! As the sun hit the horizon, I tried a Pop-R and had about a three-pounder throw the hook after a good little battle.


Friday, April 23 (from Ron)...
Watched the wind forecast start to drop, so loaded up and headed to Horn Point (Back Bay) for an evening trip. When I arrived, the bay looked awful...whitecaps and murky. "Oh well, I think I will take a day off" was my thought. As I left the parking area, I noticed a small sign that I never had seen before, consisting of a fish, hook, and an arrow. So I walked the small trail about 50 yards and discovered a pond that I didn't know was there, and it was glass-calm, protected by trees. I then think, " I'm here, might as well try." I put the yak on the cart, headed down the trail, and launched at an opening along the bank. The pond is about the size of a narrow football field, with overhanging brush and some structure. Threw a micro-spinner for a while without any luck, so tied on a Zoom U Vibe with a keel-weighted hook but still couldn't catch anything. Just as I was thinking "I wish I had an unweighted worm hook," I looked up and low and behold, there, hanging on a limb, was just what I needed. It was attached to some line and an old rubber worm. Tied the hook on, rigged the U Vibe, and found a bite. Caught five dinks, two small chain picks, and a 2-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment